Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Clear liquid diet
- Purpose: Relieve thirst & help maintain fluid balance
- Use: Post-surgically & following acute vomiting or diarrhea
- Foods: carbonated drinks, coffee, tea, flavored drinks, stained fruit sugar, popsicles, commercially prepared clear liquids, and hard candy.
- Foods avoided: milk and milk products, fruit juices with pulp.
- Purpose: provide adequate nutrition for those who have troubled chewing.
- Use:pt w/o teeth or w/ bad fitting dentures, transition from full liquids to general diet, & for those who cannot tolerate highly seasoned, fried or raw foods followingacute infections or GI disturbances such as gastric ulcer or cholethiasis
- Purpose: provide an adequately nutritious diet for patients who cannot chew or who are too ill to do so
- Use: acute infection with fever, GI upset, after sx progressing from clear liquids.
- Foods allowed: clear liquids, milk drinks, cook cereals, custard, ice cream, sherbet, eggnog, all stained fruit juices, creamed vegetable soup, puddings, mashed potatoes, instant breakfast drinks, yogurt, mild cheese sauce or pureed meat, and seasoning
- Foods avoided: nuts, seeds, coconut, fruits, jam, and marmalade