Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
While at a location other than the train's original terminal, which on the following conditions will require a Class III Brake Test?
- A. A car or solid block of cars previously given a Class I test and not off air more than 4 hours is added to the train
- B. A change in locomotive or caboose
- C. A car or solid block of cars is removed from the train
- D. A train separated and recoupled without any consist change
ALL OF THE BOVE
To avoid an overcharge condition to your train what would you do while doubling or coupling cars to your train?
Make a FULL SERVICE reduction before the ANGLE COCK is opened
During an air brake test, the most efficient of which methods will be used to determine the air pressure at the rear of the train or cut of cars?
- Telemetry that has been qualified
- An air gauge on a locomotive coupled to the rear of the train
- An air gauge on the EOT
- An accurate hand-held air gauge
While en route, each train must have operative air brakes on _% of it's cars?
When adding a helper to a train, before coupling the brake pipe hoses and opening any angle cocks, what must be done in regards to the AUTOMATIC BRAKE?
When in helper service and a back up movement exceeds one mile, who must control the trains air brakes?
The engineer of the helper locomotive
When in Helper Service, the lead engineer must make certain that all other engineers are informed of what?
- Planned Speed Changes
- Signal Indications
- Any other condition that may affect train movement
Only locomotives with which type of couplers can be used for Helper Service?
Alignment Control Coupler
When a locomotive is stopped, do not move the locomotive when the MAIN RESERVOIR is within __ PSI of the Brake Pipe.
If the locomotive is moving, stop the movement when the MAIN RESERVOIR pressure falls to within __ PSI of the Brake Pipe pressure.
While on line of road service, your train stops at an industry and sets out a car. No changes where made to the consist. What type of brake test should be performed after recoupling back to your train?
Class III Trainline Continuity
The main reservoir pressure is within 15 PSI of the Regulating Valve Setting. To increase air compressor output on a locomotive consist with at least one Electrically-Driven Air Compressor, what should be done with the reverser and throttle?
- Reverser centered
- Throttle in position 1
Main Reservoir pressure must be at least __ PSI more than the Brake Pipe pressure for the air brake to work properly.
The Main Reservoir pressure should be between ___ and ___ PSI.
130 and 145 PSI
While using qualified telemetry, how can it be observed that the brakes are applying on the rear of the train?
- 5 PSI reduction in brake pipe indicates application
- 5 PSI increase in brake pipe indicates release
If a freight car fails an air brake retest at the originating location, what should be done with the car?
Set the car out
If a freight car fails an air brake retest at an intermediate location, what should be done with the car?
Once tagged, it may be moved to the nearest repair location.
When completing a Brake Test Certificate for a Class I Brake Test, what 4 items should be included on the Certificate?
- Date and Time inspection was made
- Number of cars inspected
- Name of qualified person performing the test
- Location where test was performed
What 3 requirements must a train meet to qualify for Two-Way Telemetry Operation?
- Controlling locomotive must have an operative HTD capable of Two-Way
- Rear car must have operative EOT capable of Two-Way
- Readouts between HTD & EOT must NOT differ by more than 3 PSI
To make a Helper Service Brake Test, what should be done with the BRAKE PIPE?
- If train brakes are applied make and additional 10 PSI reduction
- If train brakes are released make a 20 PSI reduction
During a Transfer Train brake test, after a 20 PSI reduction what must be verified?
Air brakes apply on all cars
When handling cars that will be attached to the rear of the train, before cutting air into cars, adjust the Brake Pipe pressure to __ PSI below standard pressure for train being coupled to, and make what type of Brake Pipe reduction after coupling to but before the angle cock is opened?
True or False:
While the train or engine is moving, the engineer must not adjust the regulating valve on the controlling locomotive, or cut out a brake valve on the controlling locomotive.
When performing a Class I Brake Test, how much of a reduction is made to the Brake Pipe?
What is the preferred method for testing Brake Pipe leakage?
Air Flow Method
When is a Class I Brake Test required?
- Train is originally made up
- Train's consist has changed
- Off air for more than 4 hours
- Cycle Train that has traveled over 3000 miles
- Train is received at interchange and the consist is changed
- Cars are picked up at an intermediate location not designated by special instructions
- Extended Haul Train that has traveled over 1500 miles as designated by special instructions
What is the max train speed if not equipped with Two-Way telemetry? (EOT)
Without two-way telemetry, what grades must a train not operate?
- With 4000 trailing tons or less, do not operate over a 2% grade
- With more than 4000 trailing tons, do not operate over a 1% grade
True or False
Positive Train Control is an on-board system that provides a safety overlay working in coordination with existing train operation, functions, rules and methodologies?
True or False
Trip Optimizer functions as a primary method for operation of a rail line and is a signal, a method of train control, and/or PTC system.
___________ _____ is defined as:
A more efficient use of manpower and equipment
A way to lower operating cost per tonnage per mile
A way to reduce draw bar forces
A faster air braking application and release
A way to safely handle longer and heavier trains through undulation and grade territory that would present major problems for conventional trains
How many brakes must be operable before departing the initial terminal?
Helper Operation is defined as:
Using more than one locomotive consist to move a train
How must the engineer of the helper locomotive minimize in train forces during an emergency stop?
Control brake cylinder pressure on helper locomotive to 25 psi
What messages indicate failed two-way telemetry?
- Dead battery
- Replace battery
- valve failure
- Front to Rear no communication