Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is ageism?
attitudes and beliefs, feelings, and behavior toward people based on their old age
What is elderspeak?
features more basic vocabulary and simpler structure, a slower speech rate, and more pitch variations than typical conversation speech
What is retirement?
pension plans, social security, and other worker provisions allowing workers to leave employment and begin a new stage of life
What is successful aging?
freedom from disease and disability, good cognitive and physical functioning, social connections, and productive activities
What does the research say about stereotypes of older people?
they are not a one-size-fits-all, people hold stereotypes of subgroups of older people
What are the categories of old age?
old people, elders, seniors, senior citizens, and the elderly
What are the stereotypes of old age?
- gray haired, hard of hearing, balding, and poor eyesight (only non-physical trait is retired)
- low competence, high warmth
What are the stereotypes of old age in the media?
dependent, lonely, disagreeable people, with physical and mental limitations
What are the perceptions and discriminations of old age in the workplace?
less motivated, competent, and physically able. harder to train or retrain, and more expensive employees (higher salaries, declining health, and more healthcare benefits) leading to earlier retirement (mostly forced retirement) regardless of ability to continue job
What are the perceptions of old age in other life domains?
- physical and mental fitness, leisure activities, religion and spirituality, and work and employment
- most negative perceptions: friends and acquaintances, financial and money-related issues, and physical and mental fitness
- most positive perceptions: religion and spirituality
What are the prejudices of old age?
- positive prejudices: pity and admiration
- negative prejudices: anxiety
What influences old age stereotypes?
anxiety of how old people are in society and through the fear stereotypes are created
How is old age tied to self-fulfilling prophecies?
- negative age-stereotypic stimuli produced negative effects on behavior and positive age-stereotypic stimuli produced positive effects
- impact of negative stimuli on behavior was much larger than the impact of positive stimuli on behavior