DJ Alverson Digital Audio Study Guide
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Two basic options for digital audio
- 1) Sampling
- 2) Quantization
What is sampling?
Number of measurements (samples) that are taken of an analog signal over the course of a second.
Like a photographer taking a series of action sequence shots.
What is the quantization for it?
Based on bit depth of word length
What does bit rate have to do with bit depth?
How fast data moves
How many integer values for 16 bit?
How many integer values for 24 bit?
0 crossing; no energy in a waveform
4 advantages of hard disk recording:
- a. Non destructive editing
- b. Larger sound files
- c. Digital Signal Processing
- d. Random Access Editing
Characteristics of DAW:
- 1) Integration and communication
- 2) Reliability
- 3) Freedom of flexibility
- 4) Automation
- 5) User friendly operation
Hard drive speed
List three types of screens:
Which word length is common for distribution?
- 1) Converts analog to digital
- 2) Where is it's location
- 3) Digital I/O
- 4) Wordclock
- 5) Could be built in the computer
- 6) Video I/O
- 7) Controller surface (tells ProTools what to do)
Concept of nondestructive editing
Editing signals where the original content is not modified in the course of editing
- What DJ said:
- optical media, music cd’s; have a set of rules;media will have dot wave files, have 16 bit fil format; it also has table content (first thing a cd readers will look for is the the table content); it can’t play without a table content;redbook governs that
- What wiki said:
- Specifies the physical parameters and properties of the CD, the optical "stylus" parameters, deviations and error rate, modulation system (eight-to-fourteen modulation, EFM) and error correction facility (cross-interleaved Reed–Solomon coding, CIRC), and the eight subcode channels. These parameters are common to all compact discs and used by all logical formats, such as CD-ROM. The standard also specifies the form of digital audio encoding: 2-channel signed 16-bit Linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz.
24 96...what does 96 mean?
Dynamic Range of 24 bit is closest to:
Human hearing 0-140dB
Sampling is in charge of:
Quantization is in charge of
In order for the desired frequency bandwidth to be faithfully encoded in the digital domain, the selected sample rate must be at least twice as high as the highest frequency to be recorded.
Analog to Digital =
No more energy; just digital
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview