Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What are the components and method of white stock? 4 gal
- Bones - 20-32#, Water (cold) - 40#. Method - Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer and skim 30-60min.
- Mirepoix (fine/medium dice) - 4# total, onion, celery, carrot. Method - add & simmer
- Sachet - peppercorns 2 tsp, parsley stems 24-32, bay leaves 4-8, whole cloves 4, thyme 2 tsp. Method - add and simmer 3-4 hrs. for chicken, 8 for veal.
- Method - strain, cool or de-fat and use
Brown Stock ingredients and Method (5 gal)
- Bones - 25-40#. Method - Brown in oven
- Mirepoix (large cut) - 5# Method - add to bones and brown
- tomato - 5 C+- Method - transfer to stockpot, defat and deglaaze roaster. discard fat and add glaze to stockpot
- Water (cold) - 50# Method - add and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 8+ hours
- sachet - add
- Method - strain, cool or defat and use
tomato sauce ingredients and method 1/2 gal
- salt pork - 2 oz. Method - render in heavy suacepot
- Onion (medium dice) - 4oz., carrots - 4oz. Method - add and sweat until softened
- tomatoes (canned or fresh, coarsley chopped) - 2 qt., tomato puree - 1 qt., ham bones - 1/2lb., sachet: 1 clove garlic, 1 bay leaf, 1/8tsp dried thyme, 1/8tsp dried rosemary, 1/8 tsp crushed peppercorns. Method - add all, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer over very low heat 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.
- Method - remove sachet and bones, strain sauce
- salt -TT, sugar - TT Method- add
Consomme ingredients and method (1 gal)
- Clear Meat - 1#, Mirepoix - 1#, Egg white - 1C, tomato - 1C. Method - add raw to 1qt. cold stock and mix with stiff whip. cut veggies across fiber.
- Rich stock - 1 gal, sachet. Method - add, bring carefully to a simmer. when starting to simmer don't stir. raft forms, simmer gently 1 1/2-2hrs. strain carefully
Hollandaise ingredients and method (1pt.)
- Butter - 1 1/4lb. Method - clarify butter, keep warm
- peppercorns - 1/8tsp, salt 1/8tsp, white vinegar - 3oz., water(cold) - 2oz. Method - Combine in saucepan and reduce until nearly dry. Remove from heat and add water, Strain into stainless bowl.
- Egg yolks - 6. Method - add and beat well. hold over water bath, beat until thickened and creamy.
- Method - remove from heat, gradually add butter
- lemon juice 1-2T, salt - TT, cayenne - TT. Method - beat in TT, add salt and cayenne
- Method - strain and keep warm
Veloute ingredients and method (1/2 gal)
- Clarified butter - 4oz., Mirepoix (white, small dice). Method - heat in heavy saucepan, add mirepoix and sweat.
- Flour - 4oz. Method - add and make blonde roux, cool
- white stock - 2 1/2qt. Method- gradually add, beating constantly, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
- sachet: 1 bay leaf, 1/2tsp. dried thyme, 1/2tsp. peppercorns, 3-4 parsley stems. Method - add and simmer for 1 hour, stir occasionally, skimming surface. add more stock if needed
- salt - as needed, white pepper - as needed
- Method - strain, cover, keep hot or cool
Bechamel ingredients and method (1gal)
- Roux - 8oz. clarified butter, 8oz. bread flour. Method - melt butter, make white roux, let roux cool.
- milk (hot) - 1 gal. Method - add to roux, beating constantly
- bay leaf - 1, onion - 1, whole clove - 1. Method - add and simmer 1 hour.
- salt, nutmeg, and white pepper - TT
Muffins ingredients and muffins (approx. 4 dozen)
- Pastry flour (1/2 cake, 1/2 AP) - 2lb. 8oz., sugar - 1lb. 4oz., baking powder - 2.5oz., salt - .5oz. Method - sift together
- Eggs - 12oz., Milk - 28oz., vanilla extract - 1oz. Method - Combine all, and add liquid to dry and mix just until all flour is moistened.
- Melted butter - 1lb.
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes
Brown sauce or espagnole ingredients and method (1 gal)
- Mirepoix: 1lb. onion (med. dice), 8 oz. carrot, 8 oz. celery. Butter - 8oz. Method - saute in butter until well browned
- Bread flour - 8 oz. Method - add to make roux. continue to cook until browned.
- Brown stock - 6qt., tomato puree - 8oz. Method - gradually stir in brown stock and puree, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer and skim surface,
- Sachet: 1/2 bay leaf, 1/4tsp thyme, 6-8 parsley stems. Method - add and simmer for 2 hrs. or until sauce is reduced to 1gal. skim as often as necessary.
- Method - strain through china cap lined with cheesecloth. Keep hot or cool for later use.
New England clam chowder ingredients and method (6 qt.)
- Canned clams with juice - 2 qt., 1 1/2qt water. Method - drain clams, reserving juice. Combine juice and water in saucepan, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and keep the liquid.
- salt pork - 10oz., onions (small dice) - 1lb., flour - 4oz., potatoes - 2lb. Method - render salt pork, add onions an cook slowly until soft, add flour and stir to make roux, using whip, slowly stir in clam liquid and water into roux, bring to a boil, stirring constantly, add potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Milk (hot) - 2 1/2qt., heavy cream (hot) - 1C, salt and white pepper - TT. Method - Stir in the clams, milk, cream. Heat gently but do not boil. season with salt and pepper TT
Pie Pastry method (4 - 8" pies)
- flour - 33oz. (16AP,17cake), Shortening/Butter - 24oz. Method - Cut fat into flour
- Water - 11oz., Salt - 3tsp. Method - Dissolve salt into ice cold water and mix with flour/butter
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview