0. What is IBS/funcitonal ab pain characterized by?
1. What are the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome/functional abdominal pain?
1.5 Who does it occur more in? When? What might precede the diagnosis?
2. What things commonly exacerbate this condition?
3. What treatments are available? (3)
0. Disordered brain-gut communication due to autonomic nerve system dsyfunction
1. Chronic abdominal pain and altered bowel habits at least once a week for two months. Associated with 2 or more of the following at least 25% of the time (improves after pooping, associated with change in stool frequency/form)
1.5 women, common in late adolescence. Preceded by long history of constipation/viral gastroenteritis
2. Physical (constipation, lactose intolerance, H pylori, celiac disease, drug therapy)/psychological stressors, physiologic phenomena (GER, gastric emptying, gas, etc), fiber/H2O, milk, fat 4 Ps (prunes, plums, peaches, pear), gum, xylitol, sorbitol, wheat, lactose
3. Counseling (id'ing triggers, strategies, peppermint oil which block Ca2+ channels), CBT, biofeedback, hypnosis, self-relaxation pharmaceutical (SSRIs, antidepressants, dietary fiber, mineral oil)
Dietary modifications - low-fat meals, small/frequent meals, avoid fructose, sorbitol/aspartame/gum chewing, high-fiber diet, lactose-free diet, probitoics