Comm Technology Fina
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- A completely new technology that disrupts the balance of the system
- Ex: cell phone disrupt line phones
Multiple Discovery Theory
critical points are thought by many people. More than one person thought created it¬†Ex: Telephone
users becoming frustrated that copyright protection software cannot be circumvented. People will become too frustrated and stop trying
- The way software is designed by loosely organized collaborative teams where code is freely made public to any and all interested
- contributors (tinkering)
Digital Rights Management. This strategy involves encrypting digital machines and application with anti-copyright technologies as to automatically regulate every single user in hopes to anticipate and preempt infringement before it happens. Aims to stop infringement
Open Ended Technology
- Technology that doesn't give much direction allowing the users to utilize it in a variety of ways
- EX Twitter- users came up with the re-tweet so the creators incorporated it
Skilled jobs boiled down to the smallest possible units mindless brainless tasks that are efficient (assembly)
Monopoly allowed by the government
EX Bell Phones
What are the implications of a monopoly?
management is terrible, slow innovation-no competition, very reliable, steady money
- Third party company attachment to the phone, AT&T sued them by Supreme Court
- ruled they couldn‚Äôt control phone accessories. Open floodgates to down regulated monopoly, answering machines
The groups and individuals who participate in a technology's design
- EX Freedom Tower-port authority,
- families, architects, NYPD
- Schumpter believed that when a new product comes along it destroys the previous one. Destruction within.
- Ex Ipod-walkman
In charge of NBC radio. He wanted the TV to follow a radio format of broadcasting so NBC could be in control.Convinced the FCC that it would be dangerous to have independent TV operators. Govt put a ban on TV tech. managed damper tech development until his company could take advantage of it. We didn't get to experience as an innovative begging, he immediately followed a broadcast model like a radio
Mass Communication Technology
Content is determined by the producers, One-to-many, closed system, low interaction, low control over message content, large, diverse, heterogeneous, anonymous, geographically dispersed and socially distant audience
Interpersonal Communication Technology
Content determined by users, one-to-one, open-ended, high interaction, high control over message content, small-usually know audience
The TV Problem
- Walter Lippman, TV is:
- Profit seeking, fraudulent, violent, little public control, focus on advertising, no competition, content pushed on the audio, public TV
Williams 9 Theses of TV
- Different explanations to how TV developed. Divides theses into Technological Determinism and Symptomatic Technology. Thinks both are
- wrong because they separate TV from society.
- TV became available as a result of scientific and technical research, and in its character and uses both served and exploited the needs of a new kind of large scale and complex but atomized society
- Tech as by product of a social process .Tech develop in a way that is a symptom of the social order
Society is the deciding factor not technology determined more by context than the technology itself. Technologies are developed with a purpose in mind.
When a tech is invented they were all trying to solve a problem
EX Space X
social conditions there was a contradiction between the new mobility of the modern 20th century world. People were moving into cities not agricultural world don't know all your neighbors. People want to stay home, nuclear family,new suburbs. Contradiction of seeing the world but staying home. TV allows you to participate and see the world while staying home.TV allows you view the world in private
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview