Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- -high and low latitudes, like pine forests
- -where tallest trees in the world occur (Sequoia Semervirens)
- -Branches:come out of side of the trees
Boreal: Crown Shape
Conical like Christmas Tree
Boreal: Fire Resistant
- -winter: wet
- -summer: dry-trees
Mediterranean: Crown Shape
round, short stocky (like oak tree)
Mediterranean: Fire Resistant
-Tap/Lateral depending on winter/summer
- -in winter, freezing cold
- -summer very hot
- - half of plants are winter-forests, half are tropical
Temperate: Crown Shape
Temperate: Fire Resistant
- -limiting factor of light
- -long narrow stems, vegetation is clumped at the top
- -Branches:All very high
Tropical: Crown Shape
Tropical: Fire Resistant
- all lateral
- -goes out sideways
- -oldest, 1st to exist
- -sperm means "seed"
- -gym means "naked"
- -NOT FRUITS
- -Pollination: wind carries pollination
- "box seed"
- -has ovary that will create fruit
- -newer than gymnosperm plants
- -Pollination: Insects carry pollen
- -netted veins,
- floral formulas (parts) in sets of 4 or 5
- -Paralleled Veins, flower parts in multiples of 3
- -Ex. grasses, lilies, palm trees, orchids, irises
- -shows the age of trees and their growing seasons
- -tropical trees never stop growing, so no rings
- -Warm- big rings.
- -Cold- small rings.
- -Tropics- no rings.
- -Boreal-always has ring
- 1.Low density
- -very light and flimsy, easy to break
- -Ex. Balsawood
- 2. High Density
- -strong, hard to break
- -Ex. Oak trees
- -Ex. Ironwood
- -Flowering plants
- -relatively recent
- -Conifers, junipers, pines, soft...
- -used for timber and furniture
Perfect Breeding System
-male and female together, like rose
Monoecious Breeding System
-male and female on the same individuals
- -Woody vines
- -occur in tropics
- -climbs up trees
- -can also drink it like a garden hose
- -Plants that live on other plants
- -10% of all trees
- -Ex. Bromeliads
Breeding Systems: Flower parts Draw
- 1. Stamen: The pollen producing reproductive organ of a flower, consisting of an anther and filament.
- 2. Pistil: Female reproductive part of angiosperms
- there are males/females,like human (gingko)
- -male and female parts on different flowers