The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Identify criteria for judging whether behavior is psychologically disordered.
Psychological disorders are diagnosed when behavior is deviant, distressful, and dysfunctional
• what is considered deviant may vary from culture to culture
Contrast the medical model of psychological disorders with the biopsychosocial perspective on disordered behavior.
Describe the goals and content of the DSM-IV-TR.
American Psychiatric Association rendered a Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to describe psychological disorders
Discuss the potential dangers and benefits of using diagnostic labels
Critics of the
- DSM-IV-TR argue that labels can stigmatize individuals.
Labels can be
- helpful for health care professionals, communicating with one another and
- establishing therapy.
But what does the
- label mean?
- raise moral and ethical questions about how society should treat people who
- have disorders and have committed crimes.
Discuss the prevalence of psychological disorders, and summarize the findings on the link between poverty and serious psychological disorders.
Define anxiety disorder, and explain how this condition differs from normal feelings of stress, tension, or uneasiness.
Feelings of excessive apprehension and anxiety.
1.Generalized anxiety disorders
Contrast the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder.
Persistent worry about several areas and uncontrollable tenseness and apprehension, and autonomic arousel are symtoms of generalized anxiety disorder
- Panic Disorder's symotoms are:
Recurrent episodes of intense dread which may include feelings of terror, chest pains, choking or ther frightening sensations (“panic attack”). that seem to come out of nowhere and peak within a few minutes
Persistent fear of implications of the attacks having another attack
People with panic disorder may avoid situations that cause it (agoraphobia).
What is a Phobia?
- Persistent and irrational fear of an object or situation
- that causes significant distress or interferes with functioning
Explain how a phobia differs from fears we all experience
Describe the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder.
| Describe the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder,
and discuss survivor resiliency.