* a slave preacher and religious mystic in Southampton County, Virginia who believed God chose him to led an uprising
* August 22, 1831: he and handful of followers marched from farm to farm assaulting white inhabitants, primarily women and children
* militia put down uprising; 80 slaves had joined, 60 whites killed
* last large-scale rebellion in southern history
* aftermath: whites feared insubordination by slaves, created new laws prohibiting slaves or free blacks from preaching, owning firearms, and learning how to read.