Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Before occupying a controlled track, what must the locomotive operator and conductor receive?
- Dispatcher bulletin and release form, or
- Dispatcher Bulletin and a verbal release
- ref 500.1
When the dispatcher transmits a release form verbally, what must the conductor or locomotive operator do?
- Repeat the dispatcher bulletin number and total number of messages to train dispatcher, and
- Record the train dispatcher's OK, effective time, and initials on the dispatcher bulletin
- ref 500.4
When the authority for movement on a controlled track is designated in special instructions, dispatcher message, or EC-1 as TWC-D, how will trains be governed?
- By verbal authority from the train dispatcher
- ref 505.1
When the authority for movement on a controlled track is designated in special instructions, dispatcher message, or EC-1 as TWC-ABS, how will trains be governed?
- Trains are authorized to occupy controlled tracks by verbal authority from the train dispatcher
- Train movements are governed by signal indication, and
- General signal rules are also in effect
- ref 506.1
If a train overruns an authority, what is the crew required to do?
- Emergency radio broadcast
- Notify train dispatcher
- Provide warning against approaching trains
- ref 505.17 & 506.12
To change or cancel an authority, what must the train dispatcher do first?
- Contact train
- Determine the train has not entered the limits of the authority before canceling the authority, and
- Receive acknowledgment that the locomotive operator understands the authority will change or be canceled
- ref 608.7
Who can obtain permission or copy authorities from the train dispatcher when under the direct supervision of the conductor or locomotive operator?
True or False
Copy authorities from the train dispatcher on the form EC-1 in the prescribed format and where more than one main track is in service, the track number or name will be designated in the authority.
How can a train that is only authorized to move in one direction make a reverse movement?
- Obtain authorization from train dispatcher
- ref 505.8
How can a train enter a controlled track in TWC-D or TWC-ABS territory?
- Authorized by train dispatcher, or
- As a work train working as part of the engineering work group within designated working limits
- ref 505.2 & 506.2
Who must promptly release the authority after a train clears the limits of its track warrant authority unless otherwise directed by the train dispatcher?
- Conductor or the locomotive operator
- ref 505.10
True or False
Information on the Switch Position Awareness Form must be written in INK.
How long must you retain the Switch Position Awareness Form?
- Until the next tour of duty
- ref 505.12
What information has to be reported to the train dispatcher when hand-operated switches are used? SPAF
- Location of switch operated,
- Switch(es) restored and locked in normal position,
- Time switch was initially reversed,
- Time switch was restored and locked in normal position, and
- Name of employee who operated the switch
- ref 505.12
How would you know to report clear of an authority if the train is equipped with properly functioning telemetry?
- Motion sensing device indicates the rear of the train is intact,
- The display indicating air pressure on the rear of the train gives the expected reading, and
- The distance traveled after the engine passes out of the block is the trains length as determined by the use of the odometer on the HTD or traveled three miles beyond the clearing point if not equipped with operable odometer
- ref 505.11 & 506.11
What are the responsibilities of an assisting train?
- Stop 1/4 mile from standing train,
- Approach location at restricted speed,
- Stop prior to coupling,
- Job brief with crewmember of the standing train,
- Couple to the standing train and provide needed assistance,
- Contact train dispatcher and provide location of detachment,
- Obtain permission from the dispatcher to detach from the train, and
- Detach from standing train then remain stopped until obtaining new authority from train dispatcher
- ref 505.13
When removing unattended equipment from a controlled track, the train must:
- Stop 1/4 mile from standing equipment, and
- Approach the location of the standing equipment at restricted speed
- ref 505.15
Obtain permission from the train dispatcher before leaving equipment unattended on a controlled track and provide what information to the train dispatcher?
- Specific locations of both ends of equipment,
- Identifying initials and number of the locomotive or car at each end of equipment,
- Total number of locomotives and cars, and
- The information provided is confirmed to be correct by all crewmembers
- ref 505.14
What information do you have to give the train dispatcher when removing unattended equipment from a controlled track?
- Identifying initials and number of the locomotive or car at each end of equipment, and
- Total number of locomotives and cars removed
- ref 505.16
The limits of the authority must be designated on Form EC-1 by:
- Station names, or
- Mileposts, or
- Switch, or
- Signal, or
- Control Point
- ref 505.4
When your authority ends at a hand-operated switch, where does your limit end?
- Fouling point of the switch
- ref 505.5
What is meant when you receive authority to operate in both directions?
- The train has exclusive occupancy of the track and may operate in either direction
- ref 505.7