The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
differences among people of in age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and capabilities/disabilities.
what do diversity of employees provide?
- 1. a variety of point of views and approaches to problems
- 2. are more attuned to the needs of diverse customers.
- 3. diversity can increase the retention of valued organizational members
- 4. Diversity is expected/required by stakeholders
What are some key considerations for diversity management?
- 1. the ethical imperative exists for equal opportunity
- 2. effectively managing diversity can improve organizational effectiveness
- 3. there is substantial evidence that diverse individuals continue to experience unfair treatment.
what are some managerial roles in diversity management
- 1. managers either promote the effective management of diversity or derail such efforts
- 2. managers should serve as a role model and institute policies and procedures and provide resources to ensure that diverse members are treated fairly.
define distributive justice
a moral principle calling for fair distribution of pay, promotions, and other organizational resources based on meaningful contributions that individuals have made and not personal characteristics over which they have no control.
define procedural justice
a moral principle calling for the use of fair procedures to determine how to distribute outcomes to organizational members.
what are some steps in managing diversity effectively
- - top management commitment and role models
- - strive to increase the accuracy of perceptions
- - increase diversity awareness
- - increase diversity skills
- - encourage flexibility
- - pay close attention to how organizational members are evaluated
diversity awareness programs
- - provide organization members with accurate information about diversity
- - uncover personal biases and stereotypes
- - learn about other point of views
- - feel free to share their differing perspectives
- - improve understanding of others who are different.
what are the 4 challenges in managing multi-cultural teams
- 1. direct vs. indirect communication
- 2. trouble with accents and fluency
- 3. differing attitudes towards hierarchy
- 4. conflicting decision-making norms
- - vary in how quickly they make decisions.
What are four intervention options and describe them?
- 1. Adaptation- working with, or around differences
- 2. Structural Intervention- reorganizing to reduce friction
- 3. Managerial Intervention- making final decision without team involvement.
- 4. Exit - voluntary or involuntary removal of a team member.