Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are some major EEO laws
- equal pay act - requires that men and women be paid equally if performing the same amount of work.
- title 7 of civil rights act- prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, sex
- age discrimination in employment act- prohibits discrimination against workers over age 40
- Pregnancy Discrimination act- prohibits discrimination against women in employment decision on the basis of childbirth.
- Americans with disabilities act- prohibits discrimination against disabled individuals and requires employers to better accommodate disabled workers.
- civil rights act- prohibits discrimination and allows for the rewarding in compensation in case of intentional discrimination
- family and medical leave act- requires that employers provide 12 weeks of unpaid leave for medical and family reasons.
define glass ceiling
the invisible barriers that prevents minorities and women from being promoted to top corporate positions
define socioeconomic background
refers to a combination of social class and income-related factors
the process through which people select, organize, and interpret what they see, hear, touch, smell, and taste to give meaning and order to the world around them
an abstract knowledge structure stored in memory that allows people to organize and interpret information about a person, event, or situation
define gender schema
preconceived beliefs or ideas about the nature of men and women, their traits, attitudes, behaviors, and preferences
simplistic and often inaccurate beliefs about the typical characteristics of particular groups of people.
the systematic tendency to use information about others in ways that result in inaccurate perceptions
what is the salience effect?
focus attention on individuals who are conspicuously different
knowingly and willingly denying diverse individuals access to opportunities and outcomes in an organization.
define quid pro quo
- Asking for or forcing an employee
- to perform sexual favors In exchange for receiving some reward or avoiding negative consequences.
define hostile work environment
Telling lewd jokes, displaying pornography, making sexually oriented remarks about someone's personal appearance, and other sex-related actions that make the work environment unpleasant.
what steps should be taken to eradicate sexual harassment?
- develop and clearly communicate a sexual
- harassment policy that endorsed by top management.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview