Lecture Quiz 5
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are characters in genetics?
Different heritable features, such as flower color
What are traits in genetics?
Character variants, such as purple or white flower color
What are the advantages of using the pea plants in genetic study?
- Characters and character traits
- Mating easily controlled
- Stamens and carpel
- Cross pollination (fertilization between different plants) involves dusting one plant with the pollen of another
What are the sperm and egg producing organs in plants?
Plants that produce offspring of the same variety when they self-pollinate
Mating 2 contrasting, true-breeding varieties
True breeding parents
The offspring of the true breeding parents
The product of when the F1 generation self-pollinates or cross pollinates with another F1 hybrid
What was Mendel's term for genes?
What were some of Mendel's important discoveries?
- Factors exist in versions (alleles)
- Alleles segregate/separate (law of segregation)
- Independent assortment
- Particulate inheritance
What 3 mechanisms contribute to genetic variation?
- Independent assortment of chromosomes
- Crossing over
- Random fertilization
What factors should an experimental organism have?
- Easy to culture (small size; minimal nutrient requirements)
- Quick generation time
- Simple genetics
- Mutant form apparent
- Economic importance
Discreet expression or form, 1 among several, for a given character.
Individuals that are heterozygous for one character
Heterozygous for both traits
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview