Explain how insulin behaves in the Fed state (reference figure 22.15).
- When we eat a meal, β cells of the pancreas can be influenced by a few ways:
- 1. distension of GI tract wall-->stretch receptors-->↑ sensory neuron input-->CNS-->↑
- parasympathetic output
2. presence of carbohydrates in GI lumen-->endocrine cells of small intestine-->GLP I and GIP
3. nutrient digestion and absorption-->↑ plasma amino acids
4. nutrient digestion and absorption-->↑ plasma glucose
↑ in insulin secretion tigers the liver, muscles, adipose, and other cells to ↑ glocolysis, glyconeogenesis, lipogenesis, protein synthesis, and ↑ glucose transport-->results in ↓ plasma glucose.