- Conditional Release
- -After being committed to a court directed state hospital & once psychiatric symptoms have been stabilized (no longer a danger, or insane or incompetent to
- stand trial) eligible patients may be referred for outpatient treatment under conditional release.
- -Full range of services provided: including OT (similarto partial hospitalization)
- Single Room Occupancy
- -where clients with mental illness live in the Tenderloin (SF) lots of drugs, crime, poverty living conditions
- World Health Organization
- -health based on the ability of a person to participate in life
- "a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or inﬁrmity"
- Health & Human Services
- -emphasizes health promotion and
- disease prevention to improve the life expectancy, health and quality of life
- of all Americans
- -Occupational therapy
- practitioners play an important role in promoting health and preventing disease
- and disability
- -OT's unique perspective helps clients
- adapt and organize their daily occupations or activities related to self-care,
- home management, community participation, education, work and/or leisure into
- daily routines to prevent and minimize dysfunction, promote and develop a
- healthy lifestyle, and facilitate adaptation and recovery from injury, disease,
- or developmental challenges.
- SEXUALITY: With OT’s goal of achievement of maximal functional abilities and a quality life style puts sex in our scope of practice
- Permission-realm of OT
- Limited Information-realm of OT
- Specific Suggestions-realm of OT
- Intense Therapy-realm of specialized sexuality counselors
- A key societal need and a focus of occupational therapy (AOTA).
- Who else is concerened with wellness?
- WHO: world health org.
- HHS: health & human services
- ACA: affordable care act
- Affordable Care Act
- -Defines primary care as care provided by
- primary care practitioners: nurses, physicians and, nurse practitioners and
- physician assistants. (loan forgiveness programs only for those disciplines)
- US Psychosocial Rehab Association
- -provides resources, education ideas and advocacy to enhance the power and performance of the recovery workforce (OTs!)
- Single Point of Contact
- -case managers are responsible for many things: find resources, coordinate services, advocate, monitor progress, support services
- Management of Assaultive Behavior
- Required by law in locked facilities to teach staff how to deal w/ patients who are escalating our of control and becoming aggressive/violent.
- Training= education, crisis is caused when something brings a person beyond their ability to cope, let's offer a way to relieve stress so that the person can de-escalate themselves.
- If unsuccessful, defensive and evasive moves are taught
- Assertive Community Treatment
- 24 HOUR case management
- emphasis on home visits and in vivo (out of office) interventions, eliminating the need to transfer newly learned skills from an artificial setting to the real world.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- -established by congress to make information, services and research about substance abuse & mental disorders more accessible.
- Mental Health Service Administration: Prop 63
- Taxes on incomes over a million dollars to aid in easy access & recovery oriented programs (cultural competence, community partnerships, etc)
SSI & SSDI
- Both reasons why people with MI do not seek employment; they are afraid of losing these!
- Supplimental Security Income: program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources
- Social Security Disability Insurance: income supplements to physically disabled who are restricted in their ability to work
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan
- Mary Ann Copland
- What's your plan?! What will you need when your symptoms are escalating...create a plan of what to do, a 'wellness toolbox', might include things for another person, like your warning signs and an action plan, as well as things for you, like a CD you like, a photo of a friend, or a tasty treat!
- California Association of Social Rehabilitation Agency
- emphasis on peer support & community involvement, not hospitalization