meiosis and mitosis
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Cell division that results in haploid cells.
Cell division that results in genetically identical diploid cells.
why does mitosis occur?
- Repair to damaged tissue
- Replacement of worn out cells
- Asexual reproduction (which involves only one parent)
How does mitosis occur?
- Chromosomes in nucleus are copied.
- Chromatids pulled apart and moved towards poles.
- Chromosomes separate.
- Cells divide.
how does meiosis occur?
- Parent cell.
- Chromosomes make identical copies of themselves.
- Similar chromosomes pair up.
- Sections of DNA get swapped.
- Pairs of chromosomes divide.
- Chromosomes divide.
why are new cells produced?
- Replace worn out cells Repair damaged tissue
Advantages of being multicellular?
- multicellular organisms can grow large
- Cell differentiation takes place
- can become more complex
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview