The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Cell division that results in haploid cells.
Cell division that results in genetically identical diploid cells.
why does mitosis occur?
- Repair to damaged tissue
- Replacement of worn out cells
- Asexual reproduction (which involves only one parent)
How does mitosis occur?
- Chromosomes in nucleus are copied.
- Chromatids pulled apart and moved towards poles.
- Chromosomes separate.
- Cells divide.
how does meiosis occur?
- Parent cell.
- Chromosomes make identical copies of themselves.
- Similar chromosomes pair up.
- Sections of DNA get swapped.
- Pairs of chromosomes divide.
- Chromosomes divide.
why are new cells produced?
- Replace worn out cells Repair damaged tissue
Advantages of being multicellular?
- multicellular organisms can grow large
- Cell differentiation takes place
- can become more complex