B3 - Molecules Of Life
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the parts of an animal cell?
- Cell Membrane
What do the parts of an animal cell do?
- Cell Membrane
- Cell Membrane - Controls The movement of the substances in and out of the cell
- Cytoplasm - Where many chemical reactions happen
- Nucleus - Carries genetic information
- Chromosomes - Genetic information is carried on the chromosomes
What Is DNA?
A molecule found tightly coiled inside the nucleus. It forms structures called chromosomes.
What's a gene?
A section of a chromosome is called a gene.
- The site of respiration.
- It is very small and can't be seen with a school microscope
Why do some cells need more mitochondria? And give an example.
- They need more mitochondria as they need more energy and respiration = energy.
- E.g. Muscle cells and sperm cells
What is the structure of DNA?
DNA molecules have two strands coiled to a double helix. The double helix has cross links made of chemicals called bases. There are four different bases in DNA. Each cross link contains two bases, which are known as base pairs. A-T C-G
Who helped discover the structure of DNA?
Rosalind Franklin used an x-ray to show the DNA as two chains wound in a double helix
And Erwin Chargaff discovered there are equal numbers of A and T bases and G and C bases in DNA.
Who discovered the structure of DNA?
Watson and Crick are the two scientists best known for discovering DNA. However they did it with the help of other scientists.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview