Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- 1884 with Fyodor Petrovich Kamissarzhevsky
- (prof at Moscow Conservatory)
- explored co-ordination of voice and body
- devised exercises in moving/sitting stationary "rhythmically"
- anticipated Stan's later use of "Physical Action"
Society of Arts and Literature
- Stan's "theatrical artificiality" uncovered by Fedatov
Maly Theatre - Shepkin
- "House of Schepkin"
- promoted "an actor of feeling"
- underneath skin and identify thoughts and feelings
- Shepkin's legacy - emphasis on a disciplined, ensemble approach
- importance of extensive rehearsals and use of careful observation
Maly Theatre - Fedatova
- Shepkin's student, Stan's teacher
- responsible for instilling that a disciplined commitment to acting and extensive training was needed
- Stan realises the value of training and discipline in theatre
Natural and Realism
- Gogol "Let us be complex and simple as life itself"
- seeks to replicate perfect illusion of reality (detailed set, realistic acting style)
- Realism is theory of naturalism put into practice - slice of life, emphasis on subtext
- late 19th century
- reflects society of the day
- Emile Zola "theatre should be closer to reality"
- reflect ideas of scientific discovery
- as proletariat grew, so did popularity
- wanted modern theatre for modern age - reflect their concerns
- saw true dedication and preparation that went into role
- apply these elements in own career
- realised importance of preparing "soul" of character
- not just outward interpretation
- invaluable advice after failed production of Othello
- "I can recommend you only one teacher... you yourself"
- stop copying others and take initiative
- further work on himself as an actor
German Meininger Company background
- known for historically accurate plays (place/period)
- direction of Chronegk - importance of historical truth (costume/set/props/mise-en-scenes)
- meticulous accuracy added to realism
- loved tightly controlled/director focussed mode of theatre making
Fruits of Knowledge
- made use of Stencils (technique of imitating other great actors)
- turned to Chronegk's despotic directing
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview