The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Maslow's Hierarchy of needs are arranged by need's of man
- 1) Physical- food, water & sleep etc.
- 2) Security-saftey, stability & consistency in one's life. (security=amount of needs filled)
- 3) Social- love and acceptance, the desire to belong
- 4) Esteem- competency or mastery of a task, also attention and recognition from others.
- 5) self actualization- the desire to become everything one is capable of becoming; also known as self fulfillment, meaning knowledge, peace and oneness with God
- each family membe develops a sense of security relative to the amont of needs filled.
- security= amount of needs filled
amount of needs filled
4 responsibilities of the family
- (re-establish the sense of lost security)
- 1) Physically & Emotionally supporting eachother
- 2) Discipline through enculturation learning values, attitudes & dicipline
- 3) Motivation- gives members of the family unit, direction & creates a sense of belonging.
- Building family pride that builds trust & open communication.
- 4)Establishment & fulfillment of natural expectations this includes mariage choices, living arrangements, careers, college choices, location of jobs and homes and vacation plans.
What is the central point of anguish & what responsibility it falls under
- Anguish-extreme pain or grief when families haven't met all the needs & responsibilities for each member of the family.
- all four responsibilities
- leads to higher divorce & suicide rates amoungst families whose responsibilities are not met.
- when the attitudes & values of one generation are in conflict with the attitudes & values of the generations proceding it.
5 Causes of discontent
- 4.accelerated maturation-growing up faster
- 5.delayed marriages
The Reasons for "Death denying Society" or "death-free generations"
- When the younger generations are not exposed to death.
- 1. parents are living longer
- 2. modern medical advances
- * govermental financial support
The effect & of the hospice movement
is encouraging the return of the terminally ill patient to the home for direct care by family memebers. They also counsel & discuss of the on-coming death to aid in acceptence.
the 3 process that brought modernization
move from rural to urban areas
a process that emphasizes speed & volume of production of goods
brought about additional health regulations & licensure requriement
Example of Urbanization:
Latter part of 19th century, a shift in population from rural areas to developing cities
Example of Industrialization
When "bread winners" had to seek jobs outside the family unit. Machinery & assembly line labor started the mass production loosing his or hers craftmenship by repeating basic skills to do a job.
Example of Bureaucratization
As populations increased & cities grew
anonymity for it's residents, decreasing in the individual.
What Industrialization caused
loss of craftmanship and allienated the worker of his or hers skills.
The 3 Socioeconomic factors that effect families making arrangements
- 1. freedom of choice
- 2. class or social level
- 3. economic position of family
Socioeconomics factors effect families making arrangements:
- 1. the choice a family has increased with options of a traditional funeral in a chapel or church, graveside services, creamation, immediate disposition or body donation
- 2. social mobility doing what traditionally has happened before you. Social class never changes (unless you strike it rich)
- 3. families at a higher economic advantage has more options for funeral rites
Social Class & it's effect on families
- some families believe a funeral rite is a status symbol, putting more pressure on decisions of a funeral rite.
- *class to which a person belongs to is (based on occupation, income, living standards, avaliablity of medical care) determine life expectancy.
2 effects of location on choice of funeral rite:
Urbanization & Bureaucratization bringing an end to church yard cemetaries to new regulated & maintained cemetaries
Examples of Urbanization & Bureaucratization's effects:
increased role of the funeral directors to serve the families & also make certain all requirements of the law are fullfiled & goverment forms are properly signed & filled
fluctuating from one level to another
the tendency of people to relocate away from the area where they were born & raised
The difference between mobility & neo-localism:
Neo-localism moving away is without the desire or entent to come back like mobility is flexabile