1. Is phosphate deficiency rare?
2. Who is at risk? (4)
3. For question above, what are the 2 types of genetic causes of phosphate deficiency?
4. Symptoms of phosphate deficiency? (7)
5. What body organs are affected by phosphate def? (8)
2. Antacids (Mg2+, Al3+), premature infants, patients fed enterally/parentally w/o add'l phosphate --> refeeding syndrome, genetic causes
3. X-linked hypophosphatemia and hypophosphatemic rickets (Dent's syndrome) and defects in P resorption in kidneys
4. Anorexia, decrease in cardiac output, decreased contractility of diaphragm, myopathy/weakness, neurological problems, death
5. Neurologic, endocrine, skeletal, cardiac, renal, muscular, respiratory, hematologic