1. To have optimal envr for metabolic rxns, what must there be? (3)
2. Sources of water? (2) Losses? (4)
3. What are electrolytes? 3 most important ones?
4. Sources of sodium, potassium, chloride? RDAs?
1. Correct osmotic pressure, temperature, pH
2. Oral, metabolic --> urine, feces, sweat, insensible loss
3. Free hydrated ions that weakly bind to organic molecules - Na, K, Cl
4. Cured meats, soy sauce, canned soups, processed foods (same with Cl)
Potassium is from fruits (raisins, plums, orange juice, plantains bananas) and veggies (beans, lentils, sweet potato), dairy products
Cl is with sodium
Na(Cl) = 1.5(2.3) g/day, potassium = ~5 g/day