criteria used by police to determine if a crime is gang related (8)
if it meets 1 of these criteria
1) Recruitment: crimes related to recruitment- such as intimidation by word or action
2) Identification: crimes related to- tagging, gang signs, symbols, colors etc.
3) Vice: Crimes related to vice: typically involving the distribution of drugs; cocaine, crack, meth, marijuana, pcp, or heroin.... may also involve gambling, or prostitution
4) Extortion: crimes related to efforts to exact payment- as tribute to, or "protection" from individuals or businesses
5) Retaliation: Criminal acts of revenge for real or imagined insults against the gang by rival street gang members
5) Prestige: Crimes related to glorify the gang or to gain rank or peer status within the group
6) Internal conflict: Crimes stemming from internal conflict or power struggles within the leadership or rank and file of the gang.
8) Territory violations: crimes related to turf wars- guarding a gang's turf, or showing disrespect to another gang's territory