The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
5 stages of abuse (domestic)
- 1) Emotional abuse - control victims life
- 2) Isolate the victim - shut off potential support systems
- 3) Threats - against them, the children, family, and pets are made. so they don't leave
- 4) destroying belongings
- 5) physical stage - may start as shaking/pushing, escalates to extreme physical assault
definitions and characteristics of domestic abuse offenders
Conflict between spouses, children/parents, domestic partners, current/former dating relationships...
arrest are up 130% in the past decade, due to mandatory arrests
- offender characteristics:
- 1) white males, 25- 29 are average arrested suspect,
- 2) females account for 16% of arrests
- 3) Insecure and emotionally stunted
- 4) abuse alcohol/drugs as a coping mechanism
- 5) come from all socioeconomic classes
definition of child abuse
Types of abuse
characteristics of offenders
triggers for abuse
any act or omission that endangers or impairs a child's physical or emotional health and development
- 4 types of abuse:
- 1) physical (25% reported)
- 2) emotional (54% reported)
- 3) neglect (3%)
- 4) sexual (11%)
- abusers characteristics:
- 1) parents 75%; relatives 10%; non-related 6%;
- 2) often abused themselves
- 3) more prevalent in young marriages & parents with low self-image, and unable to control child
- 4) often triggered by stressor (location/job changes, relationship problems)
- 1) parents are isolated; and paranoid
- 2) child is different. may be physically or mentally retarded, or unusually intelligent
- 3) unrealistic expectation of the child's abilities or accomplishments; or may be intolerant of immature behavior
- 4) family experience a crises
- 5) parents have explosive tempers; may be addicts
- 6) child is unwanted, premature, or illegitimate
- 7) parents or caretakers are not the biological or natural parents
definitions and characteristics of elder abuse offenders
- 10% of all elders suffer some fore of elder abuse.
- 3 times more likely to be abused if they live with someone
- 1) continues over a period of years, mistreatment found among all ethnic and economic groups.
- 2) nearly half of all abusers are children or younger relatives of the victim; spousal abuse accounting for 40%
- 3) the abuser is suffering from a stressor, (psychological, emotional, or mental disability, or other stressor) in addition to being the victims caregiver.
- 4) drugs or alcohol problems are common, and can be financially dependent on the victim
Percentage of Americans (by gender) who have been victims of child abuse
- 5 % of all surveyed males
- 10 % surveyed females
the percentage of all murders that are domestic homicides
15% of all homicides are domestic related
Characteristics of organized crime in the U.S.
pertains to any group of suspects who have formed a highly organized, disciplined association engaged in criminal activities.
- 1) may be small, but they typically involve many people in the planning and execution of illegal acts.
- 2) continuous commitment by its members.
- 3) elaborate planning and lack of impulsiveness in committing crimes
- 4) financial gain - both legitimate and illegal mean- is goal. achieved through violence and intimidation, inspired by greed, corruption
- 5) close-knit membership;
identify the first American ethnic organized crime group.
Italian started the mafia - La Cosa nostra - which is traced to the sicilian mafia
Categories of classifications of fires (name and definition)
- cause of fire can be classified into one of five categories:
- 1) Natural - forces of nature (ex: lighting)
- 2) accidental - unintentionally by human beings (ex: faulty equipment or smoking)
- 3) suspicious - suspected of being intentionally set
- 4) incendiary fires - are classified as arson
- 5) Unknown - unknown cause if the investigation is improper or if the scene is so thoroughly burned that the definite conclusion about cause cannot be reached
- Incendiary fires:the fire is intentionally set, using varying methods. 2 main types.
- 1) handheld flame: a heat source applied directly to a combustible material
- 2) delayed devices: fuses, times or other delay will cause ignition later.
typical motivation are: financial profit, revenge, vandalism, and crime concealment
organized crime group that is the largest and best-armed (according the the BATF)
- motorcycle crime groups are the largest and best armed
- four gangs. Hell angels, outlaws, pagans, and bandidos.