The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who proposed continental drift? Be able to describe in detain at least two of the bits of evidence he used to support the continental drift hypothesis.
- Continental Drift
- ~Proposed by Alfred Wegener
- *The Origins of Oceans and Continents published in 1915
- *Wegener hypothesized a former supercontinent Pangaea
- +Fit of continents
- + Location of glaciations
- +Fossil evidence
- +Rock type and structural similarities
- +Paleoclimatic evidence
- +Glacial Evidence
- =Permian glacial till is found on 4 continents
- =The tills in Africa and India are now near equator
- ~Fossil Evidence
- *Identical fossils found on widely separated land.
- *Mesosaurus – A freshwater reptile.
- *Glossopteris – Subpolar plant with heavy seeds.
- *Think with a large sea were there is no land connection
- ~Matching Geology
- Geologic phenomenon match across the Atlantic
- *Mountain belts
What are the names and charateristics of the two types of the Lithosphere?
- Types of Lithosphere
- ~Continental ~ 150 km
- ~Granitic crust.
- *35-40 km thick
- *Lighter (less dense)
- ~Oceanic ~ 7 to 100 km
- *Basaltic crust
- *7-10 km thick
- *Heavier (more dense)
What are the Names and charateristics of the three types of plate boundries
- Convergent- plates move towards each other and collide to make mountains (continental vs Continental, Continental vs oceanic, oceanic vs oceanic)
- Divergent- Plates move away from each other
- Transformation- Slide past each other
What controls the interactions at the plate boundries?