The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the conditions for populations in equilibrium?
- - Populations are very large
- - Individuals can mate without limitations
- - There is no selection of certain Alleles
- - There is no gene migration
- - There is no mutation
What are the likely causes of variations:
- - Mutations: Changes in the DNA
- - Gene Flow: any movement of genes from one population to another
- - Sexual Reproduction: Introduces new gene combinations into population
What is Fitness?
The ability of an organism to survive and reproduce offspring (that are capable of reproducing) within a given spatial ans temporal environment.
Evolution changes the _____ ___ _____ in populations, not at the individual level
Frequency of Alleles
- Any characteristic that increases an organism's fitness
Evolution by natural selection occurs only if, traits are ______ and contribute to ______
- - inheritable
- - differences in fitness
What are Darwin's Postulates of Evolution?
- -Individuals within Species vary
- -Individuals vary in their ability to survive and reproduce
- -Some of these variations are passed on to offspring
- -Individuals with the most favorable adaptations are more likely to survive and reproduce