Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Who must the Building Impairment Coordinator notify of impairment conditions?
- Central Station.
- Borough dispatcher.
- Insurance carrier.
- Occupants of affected area.
Out of service tags must be placed at appropriate locations (fire department connections, system control valves, FCS, etc)
How often must auto-initiating fire alarm devices be tested?
How often must PA systems be tested?
Every 6 months.
How often must fire drills be conducted in office buildings?
Every 3 months for the first 2 years, and then every 6 months thereafter.
How often must fire extinguishers be inspected?
How often must fire extinguishers be "quick checked"?
How many fire extinguishers must be placed in office buildings? Where?
At least one per floor, in a conspicuous and easily accessible location. A fire extinguisher must be reachable within a walking distance of no more than 75'. They must be at least 4" off the floor, and the maximum height will depend on the weight of the extinguisher.
The FSD should report all major defects to whom?
- Building owner.
- Local fire house.
- FD Bureau of Fire Prevention.
What 6 items must be stored at the Fire Command Station in an office building? (not including log books)
- Fire Safety Plan
- Standpipe/Sprinkler layout
- Elevator keys (6 copies of #2642)
- Floor plans
- Window keys (12 copies)
- Master keys of all doors
What information must be recorded in the smoke detector log book?
- Total number of smoke detectors and their locations.
- Details of semi-annual cleaning.
- Records of annual sensitivity tests.
- Results of all tests.
- Names of persons or company performing inspections and tests.
- Dates of tests, inspections, and maintenance.
- Records of installations, repairs, and any signals transmitted.
Name 4 automatic sources of water supply for sprinkler systems.
- Gravity tank
- Pressure tank
- Automatic fire pump
- Direct connection to the public water system
Gravity tanks: Where should they be located?
At least 25' above the highest line of sprinkler heads that it supplies.
Gravity tanks: How often should water levels be checked?
What is a jockey pump?
A pressure maintenance pump designed to operate when a drop in pressure is detected. If it does not have the capacity to restore pressure, the fire pump is activated.
What pressure must be delivered by a fire pump?
At least 25 psi at the highest line of sprinkler heads.
What is a booster pump?
A small pump used to increase water pressure in a sprinkler system.
What is the maximum length of a hoseline?
What is the size of a fire department hose connection on a riser?
What is the difference between an unnecessary and an unwarranted alarm?
When an unnecessary alarm is transmitted, the system functioned as designed. When an unwarranted alarm is transmitted, the system malfunctioned (lack of maintenance, improper installation, improper settings, etc).
How often must smoke detectors be tested and cleaned?
- Sensitivity testing: within 1 yr after installation, and then every year thereafter.
- Cleaning: Every 6 m.
What are the placement recommendations for smoke detectors?
- Wall placement: between 4 and 12" from the ceiling.
- Ceiling placement: 4" from the wall.
- Heating vents: At least 3' from a heating vent.
Name and describe the classes of fire extinguishers.
- A: Ordinary combustibles
- B: Flammable liquids
- C: Electrical
- D: Flammable metals
- K: Kitchen fires (located not more than 30' from the hazard; range hood controls must be 10-35' from the hood)
When must fire extinguishers be inspected/tested/maintained?
- Monthly "quick check" inspection (recorded on a tag or in a file)
- Maintenance/servicing/recharge: Annually or after each use (by CoF holder)
- Hydrostatic testing: Every 5 years
A fire extinguisher weighs 40 lb or less. Where must it be placed/mounted?
In a conspicuous location, along a normal path of travel, with the top not higher than 5' above the floor, and the bottom at least 4" above the floor.
A fire extinguisher weighs more than 40 lbs. Where must it be placed/mounted?
In a conspicuous location, along a normal path of travel, with the top not higher than 3.5' above the floor, and the bottom at least 4" above the floor.
True or false: Doors to fire stairs with failsafe systems must unlock from the stair side in buildings under 100' in height.
False (but must unlock in buildings 100' or more in height).
What is a Group B building?
- Office building designed to be occupied by more than 100 people above and below street level, or by more than 500 people in the entire building. (Fire Safety Director must be on site if these conditions apply.)
- These must have a Fire Safety Plan, FSD, DFSD, BES; fire brigade; drills, signage on elevators, stairs, floors.
Fire Command Stations are required in buildings above what height?
Fire Command Stations must be equipped with 2-way communications with what 4 areas?
- Warden phones on each floor
- Mechanical control center
- Elevators and elevator machine rooms (on roof)
- HVAC control rooms
What 3 daily tests should be conducted at the Fire Command Station?
- Visual inspection
- Check of enunciator panel lights
- Lamp test check
New fire code requires what safety plans?
- Fire safety and evacuation plan
- Emergency action plan
- Residential fire safety guide
Major defects in fire protection systems must be reported to whom?
- The local fire department (borough dispatcher, in new code)
- The building owner
- The Bureau of Fire Prevention
What color discs will be placed on the siamese connection by the fire department if a major defect is ongoing?
- White, if the entire building is out of service.
- Blue, if it is partially out of service.
In case of a fire on a single floor, what floors should be evacuated in all cases?
The fire floor, the floor above, and the floor below. Evacuees should be directed to at least 3 floors below.
How many deputy fire wardens are needed on each floor?
At least one per tenant. If any tenant space is greater than 7500 sq ft, an additional deputy warden is required for each space (max 7500 sq ft can be covered by a single deputy).
How long must fire drill records be kept?
How long must EAP records be kept?
If a sprinkler system is taken out of service, what procedures must be followed?
- Fire department must be notified (borough dispatcher).
- Building must be evacuated or put under a fire watch maintained by certified fire guards.
- Insurance carrier and occupants of affected areas must be notified.
- Building impairment coordinator is responsible for out of service systems.
How many pull stations are required on each floor?
- At least one, with no more than 200' travelling distance between stations (new rules require pull stations to be within 5' of each exit).
- They must be located 3.5 to 5' above the floor.
- (A diagonal white stripe indicates that it signals the central station.)
How often must water flow devices be tested?
Every 6 m.
Does a pull station recall elevators to the designated lobby or landing?
No (but sprinklers do).
In the event of a fire alarm, briefly describe the actions that should be taken by the FSD.
- Man the FCS and notify the fire department.
- Send an alarm runner to await the arrival of the fire department.
- Send fire brigade to the floor below the fire.
- Account for elevators.
- Direct evacuation of the fire floor and the floor above first, then other floors (floor below, and others as needed) as required.
If fire brigade reports to the FSD that an unnecessary or unwarranted alarm is the cause of a signal, what should the FSD do?
- Make appropriate announcements.
- Clear the lobby and await the arrival of the fire department.
- Silence the alarms.
- Do NOT reset the panel until the fire commander instructs to do so.
When standpipe hoses are used in a building, what is the general rule regarding floor area to hose length?
Hoses can be no longer than 125', and there must be no part of the floor more than 20' from the end of a hose nozzle.
Fire pumps must be operated how often?
Once every 30 d.
If a minor defect to a fire protection system is found, when must the Bureau of Fire Prevention be notified in writing?
After 30 days, but only if the defect has not been fixed by then. (Note: The defect should be fixed immediately wherever possible, but it is not necessary to notify the BFP for 30 days.)
At what height does a building require a fire pump, and where must they be located?
Fire pumps are needed in buildings taller than 300', and must be at the entrance floor or below, with access from the street.
Where must fire extinguishers be located?
- In office buildings, no more than 75' travelling distance between sprinklers.
- In hotels, one for every 6000 sq ft.
- (Old rule was one extinguisher every 6000 sq ft, or one every 12,000 sq ft, if fully sprinkled.)
Upon what events must elevators auto recall?
- Elevator landing smoke detector activation.
- Fire alarm activation (not including pull station).
- 2642 key turn.
Generators must provide at least 6 hours of power to what systems?
- Smoke detectors.
- At least 3 elevators (power to recall them).
- FCS PA system.
- Fire pumps.
How often must generators be tested?
Class B buildings require fire partitions for areas in excess of what square footage?
7500 sq ft (but if the building is fully sprinklered, there is no limit).
Fail safe systems must be activated upon occurrence of what events?
- Automatic fire detection system activation.
- Phase I elevator activation.
- Electrical failure.
(Manual activation from FCS must also be possible.)
Describe emergency power system testing requirements.
- Emergency power systems must be tested every 4 years for 4 hrs under running load.
- Generator must be tested monthly for 30 min under 30% load.
- Diesel generator must be tested monthly for 2 hrs (30 min under 25%, 30 min under 30%, 1 hr under 50% load).
Testing must be done by a licensed electrician.
Describe hot work standards and requirements.
- Operator and guards must have CoF.
- Hot work cannot be done within 35' of combustibles, or they must be properly covered.
- Floors and wall openings must be protected.
- 2 guards with fire suppression equipment must be on continuous duty.
- Site must be inspected 30 min after work is done, and again 30 min later.
- Owner must be notified 48 hrs in advance.
- Owner must be given copy of rules.
- Permit is good for 30 d, and valid for 1 yr.
How often must EAP drills be conducted?
- Twice in the first year after the EAP plan is accepted (the first must be conducted within 6 m).
- Then at least once a year on every floor thereafter.
Who must participate in EAP drills?
All occupants (including visitors).
What clearance is needed under a sprinkler head?
When a fire alarm system is out of service, what information must be communicated to the fire department?
- Description of condition.
- Type of occupancy.
- Estimated time the condition will remain.
- FSD contact information.
- Area of building affected.
In Class B buildings, doors opening into an interior stair enclosure may be locked on the stair side of the door. At intervals of how many floors must it be possible to gain entry without a key?
4 stories or less.
Manual pull stations should be tested by the CoF holder how often?
Supervisory devices should be tested when?
FSP staff training follows what schedule?
- Group B: 1 hour annually
- Group R-1: 1 hour quarterly on each shift
Record of training must be kept in a bound log book for 3 years.
EAP staff training follows what schedule (initial training and refresher training)?
- INITIAL TRAINING:
- - deputies: 3 hrs
- - BES: 3 hrs
- - wardens, deputy wardens, brigade: 2 hrs
- REFRESHER TRAINING:
- - deputies: 1 hr every 6 m
- - BES: 1 hr every 6 m
- - wardens, deputy wardens, brigade: 1 hr/yr
How often must sprinkler systems be inspected?
Monthly (by Cof).
Unplanned out of service conditions shall be handled how?
The CoF or impairment coordinator must immediately notify the building owner and the FDNY dispatcher.
What are the tag colors used to indicate impairment of fire safety systems?
- System fully out of service: Red tag / white disk.
- System partially out of service: Orange tag / blue disk.
- System defects or deficiencies: Yellow tag
- No defects: Green tag.
What is the size of the disk attached to fire department connections to indicate impairment?
8 - 9"
What information must be placed on tags indicating impairment of a fire safety system, and where must the tags be placed?
- Fully out of service: Red tag at main control valve.
- Partially out of service: Orange tag at main control valve and at any closed sectional valve.
- All tags must indicate company name, date of removal from service, and anticipated date of return to service.
Name 3 types of signals initiated by a fire alarm control panel.
- Alarm signal: triggered by alarm pull station, automatic fire detector, smoke detector, water flow switch, etc - signal is sent to central station.
- Supervisory signal: indicates that a monitored system or device is in an abnormal state - signal may be sent to the central station.
- Trouble signal: indicates that there is a fault in a monitored circuit or component - signal may not be sent to central station.
How many phone lines must connect a central station transmitter to the fire department?
Two (primary and secondary lines).
How often should manual pull stations be tested?
Monthly, where practical.
When an alarm system is taken off line, what info must be recorded in the log book?
- Time the system was taken off line.
- Reason the system was taken off line.
- Name and number of the person notified at the central station.
- Time the system was restored to service.
What information must be recorded in the log book when an alarm activates?
- Date and time of activation.
- Type and location of device that was activated.
- Probable cause.
- FDNY unit and officer responding.
What fire department notifications are required for out of service conditions?
- Planned: No notification required if system will be returned to service within 8 hours, and when all other fire protection systems are fully operational.
- Unplanned major: Cof, impairment coordinator, or other person responsible for maintenance/inspection/supervision of the system shall immediately report to the building owner and to the borough dispatcher.
- Minor: If there is no safety hazard, the CoF must report to the owner and correct immediately. If not corrected within 30 d, impairment coordinator must report in writing to the fire department.
Describe the 3 classes of standpipe systems.
- Class I: For use by professional fire fighters and specially trained personnel. The hoses are 2.5" in diameter.
- Class II: For use by occupants. The hose is 1.5" in diameter.
- Class III: For use by either professionals or occupants. The hosing can be adjusted from 1.5-2.5" by attaching reducing valves.
A 3-way manifold above the main roof level, at the top of the highest riser, must have its hose outlets set how far above roof level?
18 to 60"
At fire department connections, pressure restricting devices must be installed at each hose outlet where the pressure exceeds what reading?
Hose racks should be placed at what height?
5-6' above the floor/landing.
Should the FSD recall elevator cars when a manual pull station is activated?
Yes. (Elevators will not be recalled automatically when a manual pull station is activated, so FSD must recall them with the 2642 key.)
The battery supply for a fire alarm system should provide for at least how many hours of service?
24 h supervisory power, followed by 2 hr total system load.
What is the number of an official Fire Department key? Of a standard elevator key?
What precautions must be taken to protect building occupants when a major building fire protection system is out of service?
A fire watch must be held continuously be certified Fire Guards.
(Exception: For the 1st 4 hrs, if the affected area is not more than 50,000 sq ft, the impairment coordinator or a trained, knowledgeable person can conduct the fire watch.)
In what case is an office building NOT required to be on site to operate an elevator?
When the building is between 75 and 150' in height, and the elevators have Phase I and Phase II operations.
Hot work permits must be available for inspection by the fire department at what time?
During the work, and for 48 hours after the work is complete.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview