MATH TIDBITS FOR GRE THREE
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
12.5% OF 100 = ?
- 1. CONVERT 12.5% = DECIMAL
- HOW? 12.5/100 = .125
- 2. MULTIPLY .125 *100 = 12.5
TAKE HOME HERE IS TO MORE THE DECIMAL 2 PLACES TO THE LEFT. DON'T LET THE DECIMAL IN THE NUMBER CONFUSE YOU.
WHAT IS THIS SHAPE CLASSIFIED AS?
Rhombus -- a quadrilateral with four congruent sides.
DRAW A BOX AND WHISKERS PLOT FOR THE DATA: 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 11
- NOTICE HOW THE QUARTILES LINE UP WITH THE BOX. THE MEDIAN OF THE SET IS THE 2ND QUARTILE.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
A trapezoid is a two-dimensional geometric figure with four sides, at least one set of which are parallel. The parallel sides are called the bases, while the other sides are called the legs
FORMULAS FOR AREA AND PERIMETER OF A TRAPEZOID.
P = (a + b + c + d)
A = (1/2)(h)(a + b)
In a park, the ratio of ducks to geese is 16 to 9. How many of the 300 birds are geese?
- The ratio tells me that, of every 16 + 9 = 25 birds, 9 are geese.
- That is, 9/25 of the birds are geese.
- Then there are ( 9/25 )(300) = 108 geese
The original price of a shirt was $20. It was decreased to $15. What is the percent decrease?
- The absolute decrease is 20 - 15 = $5.
- The percent decrease is the absolute decrease divided by the original price (part/whole).
- 5 / 20 = 0.25 then convert to a percent = 25%
Mary has a monthly salary of $2400. She spends $380 per month on food. What percent of her monthly salary does she spend on food?
The part of her salary that is spent on food is $380 out of her monthly salary of $2400
percent = part / whole = 380 / 2400 = 0.16
(rounded to 2 decimal places) then convert to a percent = 16%
Solve and write (3.4 x 106) (4.2 x 103) in scientific notation.
- (3.4)(4.2) x 10 6+3 =
- 14.28 x 109 =
- 1.428 x 1010
- 3.4 * 4.2 = 14.28
- YOU HAVE TO MOVE THE DECIMAL TO THE RIGHT LOCATION AND ALSO CORRECT THE EXPONENT TO MATCH THE MOVE!!
Solve and write (3 x 104)3 in scientific notation.
= 27 x 1012
= 2.7 x 1013
- 1. NOTE THE 3 IS CUBED. THE EXPONENT APPLIES TO ALL WITHIN THE PARENTHESIS.
- 2. FINAL EXPONENT OF 13 IS GENERATED FROM THE ORIGINAL OF 12 + 1 FROM MOVE DECIMAL FROM BEHIND TO IN FRONT OF THE 7.
A rectangle has a length of 20 mm and a width of 15 mm. What is the perimeter of the rectangle in cm?
add two widths and two lengths (20 + 20 + 15 +15 = 70mm) then convert the 70 mm into cm (70mm ÷ 10) = 7cm
P OF RECTANGLE IS 2L + 2W
INDUCTIVE V DEDUCTIVE REASONING.
INDUCTIVE. SPECIFIC TO GENERAL
DEDUCTIVE. GENERAL TO SPECIFIC
INDUCTIVE REASONING INCLUDES OBSERVATION, ANALYSIS, INTERFERENCE AND CONFIRMATION. IT GIVES A LOT OF DETAILS AND THEN EXPLAINS WHAT IT ALL MEANS. Take what has happened and give a plausible explanation for why it has happened.
DEDUCTIVE conclusions can be valid or invalid. Assumes that the basic law from which an argument is made is applicable in all cases
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview