Carpentry 2: Blueprint Reading Principles
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the 4 different styles of line types
- 1. Continuous
- 2. Dashed
- 3. Centre
- 4. Phantom
Name the 4 different styles of line weights.
- 1. Extra Heavy
- 2. Heavy
- 3. Medium
- 4. Thin
Name the line type and weight for the following objects found on a set of plans:
A. Property lines
B. Locations of beams and girders
- A. Heavy phantom lines
- B. Heavy center lines
- C. Thin continuous lines
Identify the electrical symbol: $
Single pole switch
Identify the electrical symbol: $D
Identify the abbreviations:
- ARCH - arthitectural
- BLDG - building
- CLR - clear
- FRM - framing
- G2S - good 2 side
- OC - on center
What do teh letters A, S, M and E stand for in relation to page numbers on a set of plans?
- A - architectural
- S - structural
- M - mechanical
- E - electrical
Why do plans differentiate between north and construction north?
When the building is skewed from north it makes it easier to identify sides
What is a plan view?
A drawing that shows the project from above
What are 9 examples of plan views?
- 1. survey
- 2. plot
- 3. landscape
- 4. site
- 5. roof
- 6. foundation
- 7. floor
- 8. reflected ceiling
- 9. layout (such as truss or floor shop drawings)
What is an elevation?
Exterior or interior view taken directly from the side of construction.
What is the difference between a section and a cross-section?
- A section shows only a small portion of the project cutaway
- A cross-section divides the whole project lengthwise (longitudinal) or widthwise (transverse)
When would a detail view be employed?
To better show a specific area
For the following items, identify the best drawing group to find the desired information.
a. beam sizes
b. window types and dimensions
c. room layout
d. light switches
e. type of shingles
- a. beam sizes: structural drawings - foundation plan
- b. window types and dimensions: architectural drawings - elevations, schedules - windows
- c. room layout: architectural drawings - floor plan
- d. light switches: electrical drawings - floor plan
- e. type of shingles: architectural drawings - building sections, structural drawings - building sections
For the following items, identify the best drawing group to find the desired:
f. roof truss spacing
g. foundation dimensions
h. location and size of water supply
i. duct size
j. column location and sizes
- f. roof truss spacing: architectural drawings - building sections, structural drawings - building sections, shop drawings
- g. foundation dimensions: structural drawings - foundation plan and building sections
- h. location and size of water supply: mechanical drawings - site plan
- i. duct size: mechanical drawings - HVAC plans
- j. column location and sizes: structural drawings - foundation plans
What do specifications define in the project?
Define information about the scope of the work, the materials used and the exact methods of fabrication and installation
Over what elements of the structure do architectural drawings take precedence?
Layout and building dimensions
Shop drawings take precedence over what drawing group?
If there are discrepancies between a plan view and a detail view, what should take precedence?
Drawing done at larger scale
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview