IHS Latex Allergy
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the difference between natural rubber and synthetic rubber?
- natural - derived from latex
- synthethic - derived from petrochemicals (no plant proteins)
What are the 3 types of latex allergies?
- 1) Irritant contact dermatitis
- 2) Type IV delayed hypersensitivity
- 3) Type I immediate hypersensitivity
What differentiates contact dermatitis from Type IV delayed hypersensitivity?
Contact dermatitis is only red where the rubber touched
What cell mediates Type IV/delayed hypersensitivity?
Type I Immediate Hypersensitivity is mediated by what cell?
How quickly do symptoms appear with type I?
minutes to hours
Intraoperative Latex Reactions manifest at what point in surgery?
20-60 minutes after induction
What are the 2 types of Type I reactions?
Atopic and Nonatopic
What is included in an atopic rxn?
allergic rhinitis, dermatitis, asthma
What is included in nonatopic rxn?
What puts someone at risk for a latex allergy?
- repeated bladder catheterization
- multiple surgical procedures
- occupational exposure
- history of atopy
What is the most important precaution with latex allergies?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview