The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- adj: artless; frank and candid; lacking in sophistication
- The little boy’s ingenuous habit of constantly telling the truth made him unpopular at school.
- adj: accustomed to accepting something undesirable
- Does violence on television inure children to violence in real life?
- adj: easily angered; prone to temperamental outbursts
- an irascible old football coach
- verb: to praise highly
- adj form: laudatory
- an actor who in his lifetime received all the laud and honor that the theater world could bestow
- adj: clear; easily understood
- He is able to recognize his wife in his lucid moments.
- noun: the quality of being generously noble in mind and heart, esp. in forgiving
- adj form: magnanimous
- His enemies he treated with the greatest magnanimity; no bloody executions followed the victory of the Milvian Bridge.
- adj: associated with war and the armed forces
- one of the basic tenets of martial law
- adj: of the world; typical of or concerned with the ordinary
- mundane chores, like washing dishes
- adj: coming into being; in early developmental stages
- The actress is now focusing on her nascent singing career.
- adj: vague; cloudy; lacking clearly defined form
- These philosophical concepts can be nebulous.
- noun: a new word, expression, or usage; the creation or use of new words or senses
- He also joined words together to create neologisms
- adj: harmful, injurious
- mixing bleach and ammonia can cause noxious fumes that can seriously harm you
- adj: lacking sharpness of intellect; not clear or precise in thought or expression
- He is too obtuse to take a hint.
- verb: to anticipate and make unnecessary
- The new medical treatment obviates the need for surgery.
- adj: troubling; burdensome
- The government imposed onerous taxes on imports.
- adj.present or potential but not evident or active (n: latency)
- An example of latent are fingerprints which cannot be seen.
- he has a latent talent for acting that he hasn't had a chance to express yet
- adj.praiseworthy; commendable (v. laud)
- An example of laudable is a person who donates to charity and wants to save the world.
- you showed laudable restraint in dealing with that ridiculously demanding customer
- n.giant whale, therefore, something very large
- An example of a leviathan is a large aircraft carrier.
- The factory is a towering leviathan in the middle of the town.