The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- adj: unmoving; lethargic; sluggish
- Nitrogen is a very inert gas: it will neither burn nor support the combustion of ordinary combustibles.
- adj: harmless; causing no damage
- Because the virus was innocuous, the hospital staff had no need to worry about the leak.
- adj: refusing to compromise
- noun form: intransigence
- When it comes to the safety of my children, I must always take an intransigent position to protect them.
- verb: to obtain by deception or flattery
- Their testimony confirmed the defendant's successful efforts to inveigle them into investing in the hedge fund.
- adj: sad; sullen; melancholy
- When her dog died, the little girl was morose for months.
- adj: evoking intense aversion or dislike
- Cleaning the toilet is such an odious task.
- adj: impenetrable by light; not reflecting light
- As Larry is an experienced liar, his stories are always quite opaque.
- noun: the act or state of swinging back and forth with a steady, uninterrupted rhythm
- verb form: oscillate
- He observed a small clockwise motion of the pendulum's apparent plane of oscillation.
- adj: penny-pinching; excessively thrifty; ungenerous
- Penurious behavior isn't confined to hosts these days.
- adj: extremely harmful; potentially causing death
- If you are going to behave in such a pernicious manner, I would prefer to not be around you.
- verb: to examine with great care
- noun form: perusal
- Peruse the manual to set up your television.
- adj: extremely reverent or devout; showing strong religious devotion
- noun form: piety
- The students running around naked at Berkley Catholic University do not seem very pious.
- noun: one that precedes and indicates or announces another
- All too often, high blood pressure is a precursor of heart disease.
- verb: to dress up; to primp; to groom oneself with elaborate care
- The kiwi's distinctive scent comes from the wax it secretes to preen its feathers.
- adj: abundant in size, force, or extent; extraordinary
- After overindulging in a prodigious meal, I really needed a nap.
- adj.turned to bone; hardened like bone; Inflexible:
- "The ossified culture failed to adapt to new economic conditions and died out."
- n.a writing or speech in praise of a person or thing
- A speech praising a new political theory is an example of a panegyric.
- wrote a panegyric on the centennial of the Nobel laureate's birth
- n.a small sin or fault
- When you break a minor rule, this is an example of a peccadillo.