Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- noun: keen, accurate judgement or insight
- John’s business acumen, along with his computer skills, made him an asset to the software company.
- verb: to reduce purity by combining with inferior ingredients
- If you want to adulterate your alcoholic drink, you should add some water to it.
- verb: to combine several elements into a whole
- noun form: amalgamation
- Sometimes he would amalgamate the contents of a couple of baskets.
- adj: outdated; associated with an earlier, perhaps more primitive, time
- Because my archaic computer is no longer useful to me, I am giving it away for free.
- verb: to state as a fact; to declare or assert
- Many scientists aver to the contrary but science is not decided by consensus.
- verb: to provide support or reinforcement
- In science, one should always be extremely skeptical of claims which bolster the ideology of the person making the claim.
- adj: pompous; grandiloquent
- noun form: bombast
- You are correct that my analogy was a little too bombastic.
- noun: a harsh denunciation
- This diatribe is so unrelentingly negative that it loses all power to persuade.
- verb: to disguise or conceal; to mislead
- The need to keep it positive, even if it's not, puts stress on the spouse who must dissemble.
- adj: departing from norms or conventions
- It would be easy to dismiss him as a lovable, eccentric old hippie.
- adj: characteristic of or often found in a particular locality, region, or people
- there are no endemic native rodent species there.
- adj: tending to disappear like vapor; vanishing
- Elusive and evanescent, the rainbow has generated wonder and speculation.
- verb: to make worse or more severe
- Worse, the hurricane could well exacerbate the tensions that lurk in the city.
- adj: greatly emotional or zealous
- noun form: fervor
- These moments can cause irrational acts or imprint fervent memories on a wanton brain.
- adj: happening by accident or chance
- It was an extremely fortuitous find, because the odds of mummification are slim, researchers noted.
- n.tendency or action for the benefit of others, as in donating money or property to a charitible organization
- An example of philanthropy is giving money to charity and volunteering.
- The family's philanthropy made it possible to build the public library.
- adj.not easily excited; cool; sluggish
- An example of a phlegmatic person is someone who remains cool and collected during emergencies.
- a strangely phlegmatic response to what should have been happy news
- v.to calm or reduce anger by making concessions:
- "The professor tried to placate his students by postponing the exam."