Daily Vocab. II Week 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- adj: relevant to the subject at hand; appropriate in subject matter
- So an amendment to an amendment must be germane to the latter.
- noun: pompous speech or expression
- adj form: grandiloquent
- Voters are not really expected to pay attention to the grandiloquence.
- adj: rendered trite or commonplace by frequent usage
- There was a lot of truth in this reply, however hackneyed.
- adj: calm and peaceful
- Despite the years since their halcyon youth, they made brave efforts to dance.
- noun: devotion to pleasurable pursuits, esp. to the pleasures of the senses
- (a hedonist is someone who pursues pleasure)
- He's not the only college student willing to trade hedonism for altruism on spring break.
- noun: the consistent dominance of one state or ideology over others
- It wasn't easy being a jazz fan at the height of rock's hegemony in pop music.
- noun: one who attacks or undermines traditional conventions or institutions
- The successful entrepreneur is an iconoclast who is not afraid to introduce something new to the market.
- adj: given to intense or excessive devotion to something
- noun form: idolatry
- Pele in idolatrous times was the dreaded goddess of Kilauea.
- adj: revealing no emotion
- He searched Death's impassive features.
- adj: marked by extreme calm, impassivity, and steadiness
- Some people are incurable contrarians or imperturbable logicians.
- adj: not capable of being appeased or significantly changed
- The little boy was implacable when his parents left him alone with the babysitter.
- noun: immunity from punishment or penalty
- In exchange for her testimony, the accomplice received impunity from prosecution.
- adj: in an initial stage; not fully formed
- Because our company just recently opened its doors, we are inchoate and are not offering all of our services yet.
- adj: unfortunate; inappropriate
- The question for this debate is at best infelicitous and at worse misleading.
- adj: without taste or flavor; lacking in spirit; bland
- the soup was rather insipid
- adj.related to being shaped or molded; capable of being molded. (n: plasticity n: plastic)
- An example of something plastic is Play-Doh modeling compound.
- there's usually a plastic cordiality at these corporate events
- n.excessively large quantity; overabundance:
- "We received a p lethora of applications for the position."
- adj.heavy; massive; awkward; dull:
- "A ponderous book is better than a sleeping pill."
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview