The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Quarterdeck Smartness Standards
Check all IDs before granting permission to board or debark. This rule is relaxed for the Commanding Officer ONLY. POOW is responsible for Quarterdeck cleanliness. Business should not be conducted on the Quarterdeck. Quarterdeck colors may be cased when painting. In the event you feel the need to take a second look at any uniform or civilian clothing because it looks out of place or wrong, it probably is. Contact the Section Leader for further guidance. If you know it to be out of standards order the deficiency corrected on the spot with instructions to return to the Quarterdeck to verify compliance.
Consoles located in all Q-Deck Stations (Not Location specific). Location specific alarms consoles located in CSMC and CCS. Summary alarms have Standby, Normal, and Cutout settings.
Putting alarms in standby
turns alarm off temporarily until the alarms is secured but will sound again to remind watchstander that the alarm needs to be investigated and secured.
requires the COs permission as this permanently turns off the alarm with no reminders for the watchstander.
CHEMICAL alarm color
COLLISION alarm color
(RED) GQ alarm is overridden by the (GREEN) Chemical Alarm which is overridden by the (YELLOW) Collision Alarm
Communication equipment at hand
Handheld radios, IVCS, 1MC, Message Boards, MOOW, lights, and semaphore.
Kinds of navigation lights
- Aircraft Warning Light
- Anchor Lights (This includes Jack and Flag Staff Lights).
- Deck Lighting
- Internal Rovers (Report to OOD every 30 minutes).
Update major equipment and pier service status for:
- Gas Turbine Generators (GTG) (Power)
- Gas Turbine Modules (GTM) (Propulsion)
- Air Conditioners
- Fuel Pumps
- High Pressure Air Compressor (HPAC) (For engine start)
- Low Pressure Air Compressor (LPAC) (For tool use)
- Condition of mooring lines
- Lines 2 thru 5 (Spring Lines) keep ship from drifting Fore and Aft
- Lines 1 & 6 (Breast Lines) Keep ship from drifting away from pier
- Heavy weather lines used during thunderstorm conditions
Material condition X-RAY
Must seek permission to open X-RAY fittings (Ventilation)
Material condition YOKE
Normal in port condition of readiness
Material condition MOD-ZEBRA
Close all YOKE hatches, scuttles, and doors. (Usually main deck and below.)
Material condition ZEBRA
Review weather and tidal information
Look in Outlook, Public Folders, NMDDG70 SHOTGUN folder for message traffic.
Approaching CO, XO or embarked commander
call CDO when the CO or high ranking official is observed approaching the ship.
Civilian liberty boats inspections
- A Gang inspects for Engineering
- Damage, Control for sea worthiness,
- Safety Officer or JOOD for lifejackets,
- Divers for AT/FP and sea worthiness in some areas
- Mute bell, strike 1 time 10 min prior, 5 min prior, and 1 min prior to arrival.
Ships boats (MANNING)
- Boat Engineer
- Boat Officer (Not required inport Pearl Harbor).
- SAR Swimmer (Usually acts as Bow Hook also).
- Can lower 5 people in boat (6 with permission from CO).
- Can carry 18 Passengers.
Ships boat (EQUIPAGE)
- Boat Box (Medical)
- Bow Hook
Execution of ships routine
Announce over 1MC as printed in the POD. This and ships access control is the OODs NUMBER ONE RESPONSIBILITY.
- Red badges for Escorted Personnel
- Blue badges for Non-Escorted personnel (Usually ISIC Personnel)
Entry in Deck Log required
- (Passed over 1MC)
- (Initiated by Signal tower and SOPA)
- 0745 Muster color detail on the Quarterdeck with the Officer of the Deck
- 0755 First call, first call to colors. Prep closed up. (HOPPER tradition to close the brow: Nothing passed over 1MC at this time).
- 0800 1 Whistle blow, Prep at the Dip. Sound colors (National anthem).
- 0800 3 Whistle blows and Prep hauled down. (Carry On).
When is Prep raised
Five minutes before sunrise and at first call to colors.
- Honors should be rendered by all hands topside where practical. (The POOW will remain on the quarterdeck while OOD traverses to opposite side of the ship to render honors). Honors are not normally rendered between sunset and sunrise.
- 1, 1, 2, 3 If Dignitary is approaching from the Starboard Side
- 2, 1, 2, 3 I approaching from the Port Side.
- 1st Whistle = Come to attention. Sound this whistle when dignitary first breaks the plane of the bow or stern.
- 2nd Whistle = Hand Salute. Sound this whistle to allow for a 10 second (approximate) salute. (This will depend entirely on the speed of passing).
- 3rd Whistle = Two
- 4th Whistle = Carry On. Sound this whistle when the dignitary breaks the plane of the bow or stern when pulling away.
CO and embarked commanders going ashore
4 Bells and 3rd Sub is raised when Stinger is rung. Stinger is only for CO, the Commodore, or his Chief Staff Officer.
When is the 1MC secured?
Between First Call and Colors, Taps to Reveille, During XOI, Captains Mast, Church Services, and Between Ringing the CO aboard and the Stinger. (NOTE: The 1MC is authorized at ANY time in an emergency).
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE BELLS FOR NON-CO AND NON-EMBARKED COMMANDER
- Announce by Rank unless they are OIC / CO of a command then announce by command name. NO STINGER FOR THESE PEOPLE. (Use long titles unless instructed to do otherwise. I.e. Commander, Destroyer Squadron Three One, instead of COMDESRON THREE ONE.).
- O-1 to O-4 get two bells only if they are an OIC / CO at sea.
- O-5 and O-6 get 4 bells
- O-7 and O-8 get 6 bells
- O-9, O-10, and Higher Civilian Leaders get 8 bells
The CINC (Commander in chief)
announced as UNITED STATES ARRIVING
Call away working parties
Use working party matrix that is assigned by divisions as per HOPPER SORM, Chap 4, Figure A4-1.
Initiate actions to receive ship alongside
- Muster Duty section.
- HOPPER would need to provide for all pier services across ship to pier. DDGs always nest outboard because ships cant plug into DDG but we can plug into them.
Personnel working aloft
- Chit goes to CSMC, CDO, OOD, and Surrounding Ships. Minimum of 2 people aloft and 1 safety observer (Not Aloft). These people need the Afloat PQS complete and must tie off all tools in use. Quarterdeck will pass the word that there are personnel working over the side. Every 30 minutes. There are 6 aloft zones onboard
- HOPPER. Fly KILO.
Personnel working over the side
- Chit goes to CCS, (EDO, EOOW), Deck, Sometimes CSMC (Depending on where the work is), CDO, and Quarterdeck. Chit will then be taken to surrounding ships. Quarterdeck will pass the word that there are personnel working over the side every 30 minutes.
- Fly KILO ONE.
Personnel working aloft and over the side
Fly KILO THREE.
Divers in the water.
- EDO initiates. Secure shafts, rudder, sonar, and GTMs. Notify adjacent ships. No dumping over the side, 4 overlapping zones, pass the word every
- 15 minutes, and Fly CODE ALPHA.
Must sign chit, observe for leaks and verify water bags are in scuppers. Pass the word and secure the smoking lamp onboard. Fly BRAVO.
Transfer of oily waste chit signed by CO or in an emergency CDO.
Oily overboard discharge
When overboard discharge is discovered take note of color and consistency, where it came from if possible, and then pass the word, Cease all pumping.
12 OCLOCK REPORTS
- Draft Report
- Fuel / Water
- Magazine Temps
Deck log standards
- May have up to 3 line outs before it must be rewritten.
- When in doubt about an entry ask the OOD or review past logs
Review COs Standing orders
OOD Binder, CSMC, and CIC.
Verify no Divers over the side, get ping authorization message from Sub Authority, and conduct soar ops only at night when practical.
Must fly BRAVO and secure the smoking lamp onboard. Set HERO as necessary.
LIMA flag and 1MC verbiage
for HERO, secure the use of all handheld radios and cell phones, and pass the word.
Air operation in port
Muster all personnel on the flight deck and brief, Do FOD walk down, Drop the nets, and set RED DECK.
Request for political asylum
Detain on Quarterdeck, Put Watch on refuge, DO NOT LET BELOW DECKS, Search them, If refuge is in imminent threat from shore await threat to disperse before making any refuge leave the ship, and refer the person to the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for asylum request.
Contact CDO, Duty MAA, and Admin for deserters.
Receiving personnel from authorities
Contact CDO, Duty MAA, and get arrest report.
Respond to communications fast reaction drill
Respond to call, contact radio for message, contact CDO, call back within 5 minutes, and send message traffic reply within 30 minutes. When call is received ask for immediate message traffic Subj Line to be LIVE.
Observing Anchor chain
- Call EDO if it appears were dragging anchor so that engines can be started.
- LIGHT STRAIN Is a bow in the chain.
- MODERATE STRAIN Chain is tight.
- HEAVY STRAIN Chain is jerking as anchor slides across bottom.
- Focsle Watch provides Chain Report and Bridge Watch provides Fix to OOD every 15 minutes.
Loss of firemain
CDO / EDO will report condition to OOD. OOD will log in deck log and pass the word. Smoking lamp will be out and all hot work must stop. MAKE SURE SONAR DOME IS SECURED!
Loss of electrical power
If unexpected, call security alert. Secure the brow, and pass the word by sending POOW, Rovers, and MOOW throughout ship with whistles. (2 short and 1 long blast)
A list over 1 degree. Report to the CDO / EDO.
INFORM CDO / SECTION LEADER. Review Heavy Weather bill from HOPPER SORM. Put out fowl weather lines and leave normal mooring lines in place. Tie down shore power. Pass the word so that EDO may ballast down the ship.
In the case of fire or flooding
- Call CCS to verify investigators have been dispatched.
- Pass the word.
- Extended bell ringing followed by:
- 1 bell for forward casualty
- 2 bells for amidships casualty
- 3 bells for aft casualty
Man overboard procedures
Pass the word. Fly OSCAR. Make preps for lowering boats. Contact port ops if conditions permit.
In the case of bomb threat
DO NOT CALL A SECURITY ALERT. Direct search efforts. If device is found set a blast path from device location to outside the skin of the ship. Clear all personnel from the area. Call 911.
Controlled space intrusion alarm
Send MOOW, Rover to investigate, and contact the CDO.
Excessive magazine temperatures
Inform Duty GM and CDO.
Reaction to sneak attack, boarding or civil desterbance
Muster personnel topside to man fire hoses. Follow ROE.
Internal civil disturbance
Contact CDO, muster Duty MAA, IET for hose teams, and as a last resort place ship in GQ if necessary
Procedures to be used for swimmer attack
Cycle the rudders, turn the screws, and activate sonar. Also, muster all personnel not on watch topside, and pass the word that all personnel should stay clear of outer bulkheads.
Personnel and baggage search
All personnel boarding AND debarking HOPPER are subject to personnel and bag/luggage search. If any contraband is found halt the search and contact the MAA or DMAA.
Last entry of day is, Watch retained by XXXXXX. Deck log sheet is then filed.
First entry of day
- Assumed the watch, Where we are, Mooring line configuration, Plant Status, What services we are receiving and where from, Current material condition, Lighting, SOPA, Pier SOPA, Adjacent ships
- The New Years Entry is made by the mid-watch and must report all above information BUT can be reported as a rhyme or poem appropriate for the holiday season.
Divers in the Water.
Handling Dangerous Cargo(fuel, ammo etc).
Harbor pilot aboard.
- Ship receiving alongside:
- -At the dip = preparing
- to come alongside
- -Closed Up = ready to
- come alongside
- Ship going alongside:
- -At the dip = preparing
- to receive you
- -Closed up = ready to
- receive you alongside.
Personnel working aloft.
Personnel working over the side.
Personnel working aloft and over the side.
HERO Hazardous Electromagnetic Radiation for Ordnance.
Conducting signal Drills.
SOPA(Senior officer Present afloat).
Raised 5 minutes before sunrise and colors.
Raised when an embarked commander is ashore on the starboard, outboard halyard.
Raised when an embarked commanders Chief of Staff is ashore on the portside, inboard halyard.
Raised when the Commanding Officer is ashore on the portside, outboard halyard.
4th SUBSTITUTE is raised for?
Raised when an embarked civilian dignitary is ashore, starboard inboard halyard..
Code Uniform Yankee
Keep someones eyes on the photographer. Call away the Snoopy Team. Report incident to base police via Forrest Hill radio. Report to Section Leader and CDO immediately.