The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the physical features of North America...
North America can be divided into five physical regions: the mountainous west, the Great Plains, the Canadian Shield, the varied eastern region, and the Caribbean. Mexico and Central America’s western coast are connected to the mountainous west, while its lowlands and coastal plains extend into the eastern region.
The major physical regions of North America are:
- 1. The Great Plains stretching from Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian Arctic.
- 2. The Western Mountains including Rocky Mountains, the Great Basin (a lower area containing smaller ranges and low-lying deserts), California and Alaska.
- 3. The Canadian Shield (or Laurentian Plateau) which is a plateau region underlain by ancient crystalline rocks.
- 4. Varied Eastern Region that includes Appalachian Mountains, Coastal Plain along the Atlantic seaboard, Florida Peninsular, etc.
A physical feature is a natural characteristic on Earth's Surface. That is, lakes, mountains, oceans, rivers, etc.
There are many, many, many physical features in North America.
Some of the major physical features in North America are:
- Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Arctic Ocean
- Mississippi River
- The Great Lakes
- Hudson Bay
- Gulf of Mexico
- Caribbean Sea
- Rocky Mountains
- Appalachian Mountains
- Yucatan Peninsula
- Great Plains
- Mexican Plateau
- Mount McKinley
- Great Salt Lake
- Death Valley, CA
Geography Map of North America