The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Threats to ICT systems can cause the loss of data which causes loss of money in terms of what? (5 points)
* legal action
* lost business
* lack of confidence by customers or members of the public
* lost computer time
* the need for staff to spend time sorting problems out
List as many threats to computer systems you can think of. (14 points overall)
* sabotage, deliberate abuse by staff
* natural disasters
* accidental abuse by staff
*faulty hardware or software
List six threats from natural disasters.
* earthquakes - loss of power, loss of communication lines, damage to ICT systems caused by building collapse, etc.
* lightning strikes - momentary losses of power which can cause data loss, can also cause more serious damage however with the complete loss of hardware, software and data
* floods - water damage to hardware, software and data, loss of power of communication lines
* tidal waves - usually these occur after earthquakes when they are called tsunamis
* volcanoes - fire and smoke damage, destruction of buildings
* gales - loss of power lines, destruction of communication equipment, etc
How could faulty hardware be a threat?
* can be fairly reliable but can and does break down which you need to be prepared for
* main problem would be caused by the hard drive becoming damaged, rendering the data and the programs unusable
How could faulty software be a threat?
* can contain errors or bugs and these can cause damage or loss of data
* bespoke software in particular and sometimes packaged software
List nine precautions that need to be taken to minimise the threat of fire.
* no smoking in any computer rooms
* power sockets should not be overloaded
* wiring should be checked regularly for safety
* bins should be emptied regularly
* do not leave large quantities of paper lying around
* fire alarms/smoke detectors in all rooms
* install a sprinkler system
* use fireproof safes to store media containing programs and data
* remove backup copies off-site
What does computer or hardware theft entail?
* involves a thief stealing the computer or other hardware
* if a computer is stolen then the hardware, software and data will be lost
* a firm may be in contravention of the Data Protection Act 1998 if it can be proved that they did not have adequate security to prevent the loss of any personal data stored
Computer theft is common, particularly with laptops which are vulnerable to theft because they are...? (4 points)
* small, light and easily concealed
* often used in public places (cafes, on a train, at an airport, etc.)
* put into car boots
* very desirable and easy to sell by thieves
What is the definition of hacking?
the process of trying to break into a secure computer system
Once a hacker has gained access to an ICT system they may...? (5 points)
* do nothing and be content that they have managed to gain access
* gain access to sensitive or personal data
* use personal data to commit blackmail
* cause damage to data
* deliberately alter data to commit fraud