The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the function of the medulla.
- controls autonomic functions (beathing, heart rate, organs)
- relays nerve signals between the brain and the spinal cord
Describe the function of the pons.
- helps sensory and motor [information relay between the cerebrum and the cerebellum]
Describe the function of the cerebellum.
- translates plans into specific instructions
- rapid eye movement
- motor coordination
- motor learning
Describe the functions of the midbrain.
- controls responses to sight
- eye movement
- pupil dilation
- body movement
Describe the structure of the forebrain.
- connects the limbic system (essential animal behaviors) to other parts of the brain
- secretes melatonin by the pineal gland
- hunger and thirst
Describe the thalamus and its functions.
- motor control
- then it sends the info to the cerebral cortex
Describe the hypothalamus and its functions.
- endocrine functions
- motor functions
- regulates food and water intake
- regulates sleep/wake cycle
- CONTROLS! autonomic functions
Describe the structure and functions of the four lobes that make up the cerebral cortex.
- frontal: emotion & personality
- temporal: hearing & comprehension
- parietal: sensation, perception, spatial, world normalcy
- occipital: vision
Describe the structure and functions of the limbic system.