Intro to microbio
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is the 3 domain system based on?
comparison of ribosomal RNA gene sequences
what are general features of a Bacteria prokaryotic cell?
- 1. usually single celled
- 2. most lack a membrane bound nucleus
- 3. ubiquitous
- 4. 70 S Ribosomes
- 5. Between 1-10 micrometers in size
- 6. cyanobacteria produce significant amounts of oxygen
what are the cell walls made of in prokaryotic bacteria cells?
what are the general features of prokaryotic archaea cells?
- 1. unique rRna gene sequences compared to bacteria
- 2. lack peptidoglycan in cell walls
- 3. have unique membrane lipids
- 4. some have unusual metabolic characteristics
- 5. many live in extreme environments
what are the general features of eukaryotic eukarya?
- 1. single celled or multicellular
- 2. have a true nucleus
- 3. 80S ribosomes
- 4. bigger than bacteria and archaea
- 5. part of food chain
- 6. some are pathogens
what are nature's recyclers?
what are the characteristics of a virus?
- smallest of all microbes
- virus requires a host cell to replicate
- cause a range of diseases
what is a viroid?
infectious agent composed of RNA
what is a prion?
who are the fathers of microbiology?
hooke and leeuwenhoek
what is the theory of spontaneous generation?
life arises from non living things such as soil or bad air
what is the theory of biogenesis?
life arises only from living organisms which may be too small to see
what was francesco redi's experiment?
place meat in both uncovered and covered jars and see which ones produced maggots--> only open jars produced maggots
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview