The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
verb: to disclose something secret
Its consultants almost never even divulge their clients' identities.
verb: to flatter or praise excessively
Western culture seems to fawn over attention-seeking extroverts while introverts are overlooked.
verb: to show contempt for, as in a rule or convention
A college of wit-crackers cannot flout me out of my humor.
adj: pointlessly talkative; talking too much
adj: marked by ease or informality; nonchalant; lacking in depth; superficial
Many senior administrators are smooth and glib, in the manner of politicians.
noun: overbearing presumption or pride; arrogance
The leader of the cult had so much hubris he believed the government would never be able to capture him.
adj: about to happen; impending
When the Secret Service arrived, everyone knew the president’s arrival was imminent.
adj: not capable of change
When two people get married, it is with the assumption that their feelings for each other are immutable and will never alter.
adj: hastily or rashly energetic; impulsive and vehement
His impetuous behavior landed him in prison.
adj: having no interest or concern; showing no bias or prejudice
adj: damaging; harmful; injurious
The dog and cat are inimical to each other.
adj: not easily managed or directed; stubborn; obstinate
It was a brilliant simplification of an intractable problem.
adj: steadfast and courageous
The intrepid kitten walked slowly in front of the two big dogs.
adj: using few words; terse
a laconic reply
noun: an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party
You are the maverick who chooses to buck the accepted scientific orthodoxy.
- v.to repeal or annul
- An example of rescind is someone calling off their wedding.
- The navy rescinded its ban on women sailors.
- adj.having a sharp or powerful intellect or discernment. (n: sagacity).
- An example of sagacious is someone checking the oil in their car before a long road trip.
- a sagacious critique of the current social climate in our nation
- adj.cheerful; confident:
- "Her sanguine attitude put everyone at ease."
- (Sangfroid (noun) is a related French word meaning unflappibility. Literally, it means cold blood)