The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
adj: characterized by rapid and unpredictable change in mood
While she can be mercurial, he is grounding
verb: to calm or soothe; to reduce in emotional intensity
If nothing else, it may mollify their concerns for awhile.
noun: a recent convert; a beginner; novice
Pitching a tent can be frustrating for seasoned and neophyte campers alike.
verb: to deliberately obscure; to make confusing
The purpose of writing is to communicate, not to obfuscate.
adj: hard-headed; uncomprimising
Employees grow more obstinate when put back to work under a court decree.
adj: characterized by or given to pretentious display; showy
The city lacks ostentatious palaces, temples, or monuments.
- verb: to permeate throughout
- adj form: pervasive
In fact, steer clear of the negativity that can pervade academia.
adj: calm; sluggish; unemotional
We are said to be the most phlegmatic and unemotional of peoples.
noun: an overabundance; a surplus
But the plethora of commercial interruptions is often hard to take.
adj: practical rather than idealistic
The book's mind-over-matter approach is pragmatic and well-explained.
adj: overstepping due bounds (as of propriety or courtesy); taking liberties
Also, it would be presumptuous of me to say what your dream means to you.
adj: pure; uncorrupted; clean
Cooled further and cut, pristine glass is very strong.
noun: adherence to highest principles; complete and confirmed integrity; uprightness
Singapore is now a model of probity, but in the 1950's it was awash in corruption.
noun: a natural predisposition or inclination
I'm pretty sure dogs are born with a proclivity to enjoy riding in the car.
- adj: excessively wasteful; recklessly extravagant
- noun form: profligacy
The curse of broadcast technologies is that they are profligate users of limited resources.
- v.to satisfy fully or to excess
- An example of to sate is to eat five cheeseburgers and six orders of cheese fries.
- The meal was more than enough to sate his hunger.
- adj.having a gloomy or morose temperament
- A shadowy haunted mansion is an example of someplace that would be described as saturnine.
- Your next door neighbor who snaps at you for everything and who is always disgruntled is an example of someone who would be described as saturnine.
- the men awaiting interrogation by the police shared asaturnine silence
- He is saturnine in temperament.
- n.a very knowledgable person; a genious
- Someone who is considered a scientific genius is an example of a savant.
- a savant in the field of medical ethics