The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
adj: not obvious; elusive; difficult to discern
In fact, our own lives sometimes depend on recognizing the subtle differences.
adj: implied; not explicitly stated
All effective writers and speakers have learned the convention of tacit knowledge.
adj: brief and concise in wording
The film's style is so economical it seems almost terse.
verb: to publicly praise or promote
Each year, selective colleges tout their application totals, along with the virtues of their applicants.
adj: sharply perceptive; keen; penetrating
Marvin’s trenchant wit made him a popular speaker at conservative fundraisers.
adj: genuine; not false or hypocritical
It is with unfeigned regret the colonel commanding bids you all an affectionate farewell.
adj: indefensible; not viable; uninhabitable
The falls might have saved the forests by making logging there untenable.
verb: to waver indecisively between one course of action or opinion and another
Those who vacillate or sulk, will miss a window of opportunity.
adj: multicolored; characterized by a variety of patches of different color
Grows in sun or shade, but variegated types show better color in full sun.
- noun: annoyance; irritation
- verb form: vex
Mere annoyance, vexation, or inconvenience could not support an award of damages.
- adj: alertly watchful
- noun form: vigilance
We need to be more vigilant concerning our environment
verb: to use harsh condemnatory language; to abuse or censure severely or abusively; to berate
every week the minister would ascend the pulpit andvituperate the parishioners
- adj: readily changing to a vapor; changeable; fickle; explosive
- noun form: volatility
These plants are a type of mint and produce a host of volatile oils and other chemicals.
- "Katie and carmella had a tacit agreement that they would not mention the dented fender to their parents."
- adj.habitually untalkative or silent (n: taciturnity)
- An example of taciturn is a person who sits quietly at the edge of the room and only responds in short sentences when spoken to.
- a taciturn man, he almost never initiates a conversation
- adj.exercising moderation and self-denial; calm or mild (n: temperance)
- An island that does not experience wild swings in temperature is an example of an island with a temperate climate.
- A person who makes sure he doesn't overeat or over-indulge is an example of someone who would be described as temperate in his habits.
- They had a temperate discussion.