Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs?
They block the action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the parasympathetic nerve SYNAPSE.
Some of the drugs inhibit nerve impulses @ both muscarinic & nicotinic receptors that effect organ & structures of the body like eyes, respiratory, GI tracts, heart, bladder
What are Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs used for?
- Pylorospasm adn peptic ulcer
- Ureteral or biliary colic & bladder overactivityvegal nerve - induced by bradycardia
- Preop reduction of oral secretions
What are the A/R for Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs?
NURSE = THE SEVERITY OF MANY OF A/R IS OFTEN DOSE-DEPENDENT THAT IS, THE LARGER THE DOSE, THE MORE INTENSE ADVERSE REACTION.
Dry mouth, nausea, vomiting
- Difficulty in swallowing, heartburn
- CNS REACTIONS:
- Headache, flushing, nervousness
- Drowsiness, weakness, insomnia
- Nasal congestion, fever
- Visual Reaction:
- Blurred vision
- Mydriasis (dilation of pupil)
- Cycloplegia (inability 2 focus the eye)
- Increased ocular tension
- GENITOURINARY REACTIONS:
- Urinary hesitancy & retention
- Cardiovascular reactions:
- Bradycardia (after low doses of Atropine) Tachycardia (after high doses of Atropine)
- Decreased sweat production
- Anaphylatic shock
What is drug idiosyncrasy?
an unexpected or unusual drug effect.
Example: SCOPOLAMINE may occasionally cause excitement, delirium, and restlessness.
What are other names 4 Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs?
- Anticholinergic drugs
- Cholinergic blockers
- Parasympatholytic drugs
What patients are contraindicated in using Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs?
- With hypersensitivity 2 drugs or GLAUCOMA
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Myocardial infarction
- Congestive heart failure (unless bradycardia is present)
Use Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs with caution with patients with?
USE ATROPINE W/ CAUTION IN PEEPS W/ ASTHMA
- GI infections
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy
- urinary retention
- hepatic or renal disease
What is the Nurse's preadministrative assessment b4 giving Cholinergic BLOCKING drugs?
- Get health hx and s/s hx
- Get b/p, pulse, & respiratory rate
- Check stool of pt's who hv peptic ulcer 4 color look 4 occult blood
- Check 4 visual acuity 4 peeps w/ glaucomalook 4 signs of dehydration
- weighing the client if prolonged diarrhea
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview