Offers to settle, pleas, settlements, and related statements, what is inadmissible?
- Inadmissible against the defendant to prove:
- 1) liability or fault in a civil case, or
- 2) guilt in a criminal case (or no lo contendere).
- Note: In order to settle something, there first must be a claim asserted (filing of a lawsuit; youre going hear from my lawyer) and in dispute.
- Note: related statements are ALSO INADMISSIBLE
- 3) CA Only: Discussions that occur during mediation proceedings are also inadmissible