Ant 312 midterm
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Anthropology- study of all people, at all times, and in all places. Its
- Holistic, comparative, fieldwork based, frame of refrence
- Linguistic- study of language & language use in
- social and cultural context.
Conversation Analysis/Discourse Analysis
- Conversational Analysis- study of language in action (actual
- conversational exchanges)
- Discourse analysis- How authority
- and power are distributed and negotiated in verbal exchanges
Community of Practice, Speech
Community, Discourse System
- of practice- A group of individuals who Interact regularly, and
- develop unique ways of doing things together. (these groups develop
- around specific activities or memberships; Ex- choir practice, clubs)
- Community- People who share One or more varieties of
- language & the rules for using any or all of those varieties in everyday
- - Discourse
- System- All rules for HOW to do language
- The ability to speak a language well; the ablility to use a language
- correctly in a variety of social situations.
Tannen: high involvement, high considerate
- -High involvement- Less pausing, More overlap (Simultaneous speech, 2
- voices going at the same time), more feedback
- -High Considerate- More pausing, less overlap, less
Bilingualism: Transitional and Stable
- Transitional Bilingualism- Individuals Gradually
- abandon their bilingualism in favor of speaking a more Dominant language. (complete with 3
- Stable Bilingualism- Maintains
- bilingualism on a long term basis.
Meta-Message & Metaphorical Code Switching
- Meta-Message- Additional information
- is sent
- Metaphorical Code switching- when a switch sends a
Rule Governed” vs. alingual
Rule Governed- Plays by rules
- Without Language
Dialect, Interference & Register
- Dialect- A specific variety or subdivition of a language. A way of
- speaking that is characteristix of a particular Group
- of people; the dialects of a single language are mutually
- Register- A variety of a language that is considered appropriate in
- specific situations.
Pidgin & Creole
Pidgin- A language that develops through Contact or out of 2 unrelated languages.
- Syntax light, Vocabulary
Creole- Complete language that has emerged out of a pidgin
- Lang. A + Lang. B +
- Lang. C = Creole
Retains syntax of dominant language
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview