Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- To lessen in intensity or degree
"We realized with great relief that the storm had abated
before breaking through the sea wall."
- Deviating from the norm
behavior at the dance raised some eyebrows; he was certainly the only one who spent the night walking on his hands."
- To renounce or reject solemnly; to recant; to avoid
"Steve had to abjure
all indulgence when he entered the training camp."
- To abolish or annul by authority
his responsibility to the paper when he went on vacation without submitting his article before the deadline."
- Act of cutting off or removing
"Dr. Carter recommended an immediate abscission
of the abscess in order to minimize any further infection."
- To depart clandestinely; to steal off and hide
"Doug was left penniless when the two con men absconded
with his life savings."
- To refrain from an activity
"Sheryl (Krupa) chose to abstain
from eating chocolate, her favorite treat, for the season of Lent."
- An expression of praise; an award
"The diva (TayTay) received her accolades
graciously, blowing kisses to her adoring fans."
- Growth, increase by successive addition, building up
"Limestone is formed by the accretion
of tiny particles from objects such as shells and coral over a very, very long time."
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview