The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
"flesh eating bacteria" that produces an endotoxin known as a super antigen that activates T cells and causes the overproduction of cytokines
- INVASIVE gram positive cocci that resemble a bunch of grapes
- they cause pus forming diseases in humans
- normally found in respiratory system and skin
- can cause disease in many organs
- Toxic Shock Syndrome
- bacterial TSST - 1 protein binds to MHC class 2 and TCR
- TOXIN stimulates T cell responses in the absence of a specific peptide
- Cytokine overproduction (shock due to circulatory collaps and organ failure
Methicillin - Resistant S. aureus (MRSA)
- many strains are drug-resistant
- MRSA strains typically acquired as nosocomial infections
what is critical for reducing MRSA in health care settings?
good aseptic techniques
what causes antibiotic associated colitis?
when antibiotic use kills normal flora and Clostridium Difficile take over in the gut. this leads to toxin production and sporulation
what are the signs and symptoms of clostridium difficult?
colitis, toxic megacolon, can lead to sepsis and death
what is a novel approach to treating C. Diff?
transplant of normal bacteria from another person delivered into the colon ("bacteriotherapy" or "fecal transplantation")
What bacteria causes tuberculosis?
what are commonly infected groups of TB (tuberculosis)?
homeless, alcoholics, prisoners, immigrants
at what pace does TB progress?
how is TB transmitted?
reactivation of old dormant infections
what are virulence factors of Mtb?
- unique toxic cell envelope components
- Survive phagocytosis
what is the course of disease for TB?