Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
vsphere product Suite
Contains Vmware Esxi and vcenter
provides management for ESXi and enables functionality like vmotion, storage vmotions, vsphere Distributed resource scheduler (DRS), vsphere High Availability and vSphere Fault tolerance (FT). Storage I/O control (SIOC) and Network I/O control (NetIOC) provide granular resource controls for VMs.
What products are licensed features within the Vmware vsphere suite?
3 editions of vcenter-vmware vcenter server for essentials kits, which is bundled with the vSphere essentials kits-vmware vcenter foundation supports the management of up to three vSphere hosts-vmware vcenter server standard, which includes all functionality and does not have a preset limit on teh number of vSphere hosts it can manage. vcenter Orchestrator is only included in teh Standard edition of vcenter server-vsphere standard edition -vsphere enterprise edition -vsphere enterprise plus
Which two features of Vmware ESxi and Vmware vCenter server together aim to reduce or elimate downtime due to unplanned hardware failures?
HA High availability -monitors VMs and restart them automatically if fail to respond to an internal heartbeatFT Fault Tolerance -protects against unplanned physical host server failure by providing a way to automatically restart VMs upon physical host failure.
this feature is called VM failure monitoring and it uses a combination of internal heartbeats and I/O activity to attempt to detect if the guest OS inside a VM has stopped functioning.
-users who require even greater levels of high availability that vsphere HA, FT is available eliminates any downtime in teh event of a physical host Failure, using vlockstep technology that is based on Vmware's earlier "recorda and replay" functionality, vSphere FT maintains a mirrored secondary VM on a seperate physical host that is kept in lockstep with the primary VM. Everything that occurs on teh primary(protected) VM also occurs simultaneously on the secondary (mirrored) VM, so that if the physical host on which the primary VM is running fails, the secondary VM can immediately step in and take over without any loss of connectivity.
Recognize the interaction and dependencies between the products in the vsphere suite
Vmware Esxi forms the foundation of the vSphere product suite, but some features require teh presence of vCenter Server. Features like vmotion, storage vmotion, vsphere drs, vsphere HA, vsphere FT, SIOC and NetIOC require both ESxi as well as vcenter server.
Name three features that are supported only when using vCenter Server along with Esxi
All of the following features are available only with vCenter Server: vSphere vMotion, Storage vMotion, vSphere DRS, Storage DRS, vSphere HA, vSphere FT, SIOC, and NetIOC.
Name two features that are supported without vCenter Server but with a licensed installation of ESXi
Features that are supported by VMware ESXi without vCenter Server include core virtualization features like virtualized networking, virtualized storage, vSphere vSMP, and resource allocation controls.
understand how vsphere differs from other virtualization products
VMware vSphere’s hypervisor, ESXi, uses a type 1 bare-metal hypervisor that handles I/O directly within the hypervisor. This means that a host operating system, like Windows or Linux, is not required in order for ESXi to function. Although other virtualization solutions are listed as “type 1 bare-metal hypervisors,” most other type 1 hypervisors on the market today require the presence of a “parent partition” or “dom0,” through which all VM I/O must travel.
One of the administrators on your team asked whether he should install Windows Server on the new servers you purchased for ESXi. What should you tell him, and why?
VMware ESXi is a bare-metal hypervisor that does not require the installation of a general-purpose host operating system. Therefore, it’s unnecessary to install Windows Server on the equipment that was purchased for ESXi.
Dom0, or domain zero to expand the abbreviation, is the first domain started by the Xen hypervisor on boot. It has special privileges, like being able to cause new domains to start, and being able to access the hardware directly. Unless DriverDomains are being used, it is responsible for running all of the device drivers for the hardware. For hardware that is made available to other domains, like network interfaces and disks, it will run the BackendDriver, which multiplexes and forwards to the hardware requests from the FrontendDriver in each DomU.Modified versions of Linux, NetBSD and Solaris can be used as the dom0.
- - VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual
- machineʹs guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine by VMware Server. It is very important that you install VMware Tools in the guest operating system. Although VMware Server can run a guest operating system without VMware Tools, you lose important functionality and convenience.
- installs the utilities to enhance the performance of the guest operating system, and a set of drivers specific to VMware server virtual machines
- Vmware SVGA driver
- Vmware mouse driver
- vmware scsi driver
- vmware vmxnet networking driver
- -the vlance driver is installed when you create teh VM
- installs the utilities to enhance the performance of the guest operating system, and all the drivers
- all drivers and the shared folders driver (for use by virtual machines with Vmware workstation)
- you can choose which drivers you want to install
Vmware tools device drivers
- This virtual
- driver enables 32-bit displays, high display resolution, and significantly
- faster graphics performance. When you install VMware Tools, a virtual SVGA
- driver replaces the default VGA driver, which allows for only 640 X 480
- resolution and 16-color graphics.
- Windows guest operating systems whose operating system is Windows Vista or
- later, the VMware SVGA 3D (Microsoft - WDDM) driver is installed. This driver
- provides the same base functionality as the SVGA driver, and it adds Windows
- Aero support.
- When you
- create a virtual machine, if you specify that you want the virtual machine to
- use a BusLogic adapter, the guest operating system uses the SCSI driver that
- VMware Tools provides. Some recent guest operating systems, however, contain LSI
- Logic Parallel or LSI Logic SAS drivers. For example, Windows Server 2008
- defaults to LSI Logic SAS, which provides the best performance for that
- operating system. In this case, the LSI Logic SAS driver provided by the
- operating system is used.
- This driver
- is for PVSCSI adapters, which enhance the performance of some virtualized
- The vmxnet
- and vmxnet3
- networking drivers improve network performance. Which driver is used depends on
- how you configure device settings for the virtual machine. Search the VMware
- Knowledge Base for information on which guest operating systems support these
- you install VMware Tools, a VMXNet NIC driver replaces the default vlance
- The virtual
- mouse driver improves mouse performance. This driver is required if you use some
- third-party tools such as Microsoft Terminal Services.
- This sound
- driver is required for all 64-bit Windows guest operating systems and 32-bit
- Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista guest operating
- systems if you use the virtual machine with VMware Server, Workstation, or
- module for sharing folders
- host-guest file system module, called hgfs.sys
- on Windows guest operating systems and vmhgfs
- on Linux and Solaris, is required to use the virtual machine with Workstation or
- Fusion and share folders between hosts and guests.
- This driver
- enables the virtual printing feature on Microsoft Windows virtual machines. With
- virtual printing, printers added to the operating system on the client or host
- appear in the list of available printers in the guest operating system. No
- additional printer drivers must be installed in the virtual
- This driver
- is available and recommended if you use VMware vSphere. Excluding this driver
- hinders the memory management capabilities of the virtual machine in a vSphere
- Modules and
- drivers that support making automatic backups
- If the guest
- operating system is Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or other newer Windows
- operating systems, a Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) module is installed. For
- other, older Windows operating systems, the Filesystem Sync driver is installed.
- These modules enable backup applications to create application-consistent
- snapshots. During the snapshotting process, certain processes are paused and
- virtual machine disks are quiesced.
- VMCI and
- VMCI Sockets drivers
- The Virtual
- Machine Communication Interface driver allows fast and efficient communication
- between virtual machines. Developers can write client-server applications to the
- VMCI Sock (vsock)
- interface to make use of the VMCI virtual device.
- First, the entire state of a virtual machine is encapsulated by
- a set of files stored on shared storage such as Fibre Channel
- or iSCSI Storage Area Network (SAN) or Network Attached
- Storage (NAS). VMware vStorage VMFS allows multiple
- installations of VMware ESX® to access the same virtual machine
- files concurrently.
- Second, the active memory and precise execution state of the
- virtual machine is rapidly transferred over a high speed network,
- allowing the virtual machine to instantaneously switch from
- running on the source ESX host to the destination ESX host.
- VMotion keeps the transfer period imperceptible to users by
- keeping track of on-going memory transactions in a bitmap.
- Once the entire memory and system state has been copied over
- to the target ESX host, VMotion suspends the source virtual
- machine, copies the bitmap to the target ESX host, and resumes
- the virtual machine on the target ESX host. This entire process
- takes less than two seconds on a Gigabit Ethernet network.
- Third, the networks being used by the virtual machine are also
- virtualized by the underlying ESX host, ensuring that even after
- the migration, the virtual machine network identity and network
- connections are preserved. VMotion manages the virtual MAC
- address as part of the process. Once the destination machine is
- activated, VMotion pings the network router to ensure that it is
- aware of the new physical location of the virtual MAC address.
- Since the migration of a virtual machine with VMotion preserves
- the precise execution state, the network identity, and the active
- network connections, the result is zero downtime and no disruption to users