The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Seven Days of Creation
- 1) Light
- 2) Separated Heaven and Earth
- 3) Separated Land from Sea
- 4) Sun-Moon-Stars-Seasons
- 5) Fish and Birds
- 6) Animals and Man
- 7) Rested
The Creation of Adam
– from dust
The Creation of Eve
– from rib of Adam
The Fall of Man
– eve tempted and given fruit, Adam ate as well
Cain and Abel
- – Children of Adam and Eve.
- Cain killed Abel
Account of Noah and the Flood
Noah was 600. Genesis Chapter 6
God’s Covenant with Noah
Rainbow signaled would never again destroy the earth with water.
Noah got drunk and Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father's nakedness and told his brothers, shem and Japheth, who covered him up. Noah then cursed Canaan.
The Tower of Babel
The confusion of languages because God saw that nothing would be impossible for them.
The Call of Abram
Genesis 12 - Set out from Harran at 75yrs old as God called him to leave to make him a great nation. He traveled through the land as far as the site of the great tree of Moreh at Shechem.
Abram in Egypt and Sarai with the Pharaoh
- Genesis 12
- In order to save his own life, Abram asked Sarai to say she is his sister. Pharaoh inflicted with disease by God and he let him go.
The Separation of Abram and Lot
- Genesis 13
- quarreling arose between Abram's herdsmen and the herdsmen of Lot. The land could not support them both. Abram cannot convince Lot to stay. So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east. The two men parted company
Abram Rescues Lot from the Four Kings
- Genesis 14
- Amraphel (king of Shinar)
- Arioch (king of Ellasar)
- Kedorlaomer (king of Elam)
- Tidal (king of Goiim)
went to war against
- Bera (king of Sodom)
- Birsha (king of Gomorrah)
- Shinab (king of Admah)
- Shemeber (king of Zeboiim)
- The king of Bela (that is, Zoar).
The four kings seized all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah and all their food; then they went away. They also carried off Abram's nephew Lot and his possessions, since he was living in Sodom. One who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew.
The Rivalry of Sarai and Hagar
Sarai was old and barren and wanted to give Abram a child so she had Hagar sleep with him. Then once Ishmael was born, Sarai became envious. (Abram was 86 when Ishmael was born)
The Covenant of Circumcision
- - Genesis 17, Leviticus 12
- When Abram was 99 years old and that is when he was given the new name Abraham. When baby is 8 days old, also including those foreigners bought by them.
The Visit of the Three Angels
- Genesis 18
- They told Abram the Sarah would have a son by the following year and Sarah overheard and laughed.
Abraham’s Prayer for Sodom
- Genesis 18
- What if there are 50 righteous?
The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
- Genesis 19
- Two angels arrived and lot invited them to his home. The Lord rained down burning sulphur.
Birth of Isaac
- Genesis 21
- Circumcised at 8 days old
- Isaac means "He Laughs". Abraham was 100 years old when he was born.
God Calls Abraham to Sacrifice Isaac
In the region of Moriah, on the mountain, but God provided a ram instead caught by his horns in the thicket.
Abraham Buys a Burial Field for Sarah
- Sarah lived to 127 yrs old
- She died at Kiriath Arba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan
- 400 shekels of silver
- Ephron the Hittite's field in Machpelah near Mamre--both the field and the cave in it, and all the trees within the borders of the field--was deeded
The Account of Isaac and Rebekah
- Genesis 24
- Abraham's servant went back to his home country in search of a wife for Isaac (the town of Nahor)
- She was the daughter of Bethuel, the son that Milcah bore to Nahor
- Isaac was 40 yrs old when married
- Married for 20 years before they bore Jacob and Esau
Birth of Jacob and Esau
- Genesis 25
- Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren. The LORD answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant.
- the older will serve the younger
- The first to come out was red, and his whole body was like a hairy garment; so they named him Esau.
- his brother came out, with his hand grasping Esau's heel; so he was named Jacob
Esau Loses his Birthright
- Genesis 25
- Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom. )31Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright." "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?" But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.
Isaac’s Blessing of Jacob
- Genesis 27
- Rebekka covers Jacob in goatskin while brother Esau is out hunting. Esau comes back too late
Jacob Marries Leah and Rachel
- Genesis 29
- Work 7 years to get Rachel for his wife
- Deceived and given Leah first
- Worked another 7 years to get Rachel
Jacob Wrestles with God
- Genesis 32
- Jacob's name changed to "Israel"
- Place called Peniel > "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."
Dinah and the Shechemites
- Genesis 34
- daughter Leah had borne to Jacob
- Shechem son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area, saw her, he took her and violated her
- Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male while they were still healing from the circumcision
Death of Rachel – Birth of Benjamin
- Genesis 35
- Rachel began to give birth and had great difficulty.
- As she breathed her last--for she was dying--she named her son Ben-Oni. But his father named him Benjamin.
- Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem)
Genesis 37, sheaves of grain and sun, moon and eleven stars bowing down to him.
Joseph Sold into Slavery
Genesis 37, sold for 20 shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites who took him to Egypt but Reuben was trying to save him but was too late.
The Account of Judah and Tamar
- Genesis 38
- Judah had a son named "Er"
- Then another son named "Onan"
- Then another named "Shelah"
- Judah got a son for Er named Tamar
- Er was put to death by the Lord
- Then Onan was to sleep with Tamar and give her offspring but he spilled his semen and the Lord killed him too.
- Judah promised to give Tamar Shelah once older but then never did.
- So Tamar dressed as a shrine prostitute and slept with Judah and became pregnant with Perez & Zerah. (Zerah stuck his hand out and got a ribbon but Perez came out first)
Joseph and Potiphar
- Genesis 39
- Potiphar trusted Joseph but then Joseph was accused of sleeping with his wife
Imprisonment with the Cupbearer and the Baker
- Genesis 40
- Cupbearer and Baker imprisoned by Pharaoh
- Both had dreams / Cup Bearer reinstated (three branches budded and he squeezed grapes into kings cup), baker hung (birds ate the bread in the basket)
Pharaoh’s Dreams, Joseph’s Interpretations and his Solution
- Genesis 41
- First dream of cows
- Second dream of heads of grain, 7 years of abundance and 7 years of famine
- take a fifth of the grain over the seven good years.
The Two Journeys by the Sons of Jacob to Egypt
- Genesis 42; First journey to get food from Egypt due to famine
- Genesis 43; Second to go get brother Benjamin
Joseph’s Desire for Burial
He made the Israelites agree to an oath to carry his bones out of Egypt when God takes them to the Land God promised.
Moses is Rescued by Pharaoh’s Daughter
Pharaoh's daughter went to the nile to bathe and saw Moses in a basket and rescued him and made him her son.
The Burning Bush
at Horeb, Mountain of God, Moses saw a bush on fire but not burning up and the bush called his name and told him to go to Pharaoh to bring the Israelites out of Egypt.
The 10 Plagues:
Blood, Frogs, Gnats, Flies, Livestock, Boils, Hail, Locust, Darkness and the Death of the First Born
The First Passover – Blood on Doorposts
Each household is to take a lamb, put the blood on the sides and top of the doorframe and the angel of death will pass over that house and not destroy the first born of animal and person.
The Pillar of Fire
Crossing the Red Sea
Moses was called to lift staff up over the sea and the red sea parted by God with a strong wind and the Israelites passed with water on the left and right. Then God commanded Moses to put up his staff again over the sea after they crossed and the water came on the Egyptians and killed them.
The Waters of Marah
They were too bitter to drink and the Israelites grumbled so God showed Moses a piece of wood and Moses threw it in the water which made it fit to drink.
The Account of the Manna
God will rain down bread from Heaven and they are to gather what they can eat and on the sixth day, for two days.
The Two Accounts of Water from Rock
- (Exodus 17, Numbers 20)
- People grumbled and God told Moses to take his staff and elders and in front of the people, strike the rock of Horeb. Moses called the place Massah and Meribah.
- At the Desert of Sin, Kadesh, God called Moses to take his staff and his brother Aaron and in front of the assembly to talk to the rock for the water to pour out but Moses struck the rock twice and water poured out so God said that Moses would not bring them into the promise land because he didn't obey God. These were the waters of Meribah.
The Jethro Principle
Exodus 18elect capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 22 Have them serve as judges for the people at all times, but have them bring every difficult case to you; the simple cases they can decide themselves.
Moses Receives the Ten Commandments (both times)
- First time was on Mount Sinai and on the third day after consecrated themselves, the Israelites went to the mountain, but didn't go on the mountain, It was covered in smoke as God descended on it with fire and God got Moses to go get Aaron and God spoke to the people
- Moses went back up after breaking the stone tablets and God told him to bring two more stone tablets in which God wrote on it.
The Construction of the Ark
(Exodus 37) Bezalal made it out of Acacia wood, overlay with pure gold, and put the tablets inside.
Women at the Tabernacle
(Exodus 38:8)They made the bronze basin and its bronze stand from the mirrors of the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting.
The Cloud over the Tabernacle
Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. 35 Moses could not enter the tent of meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.36 In all the travels of the Israelites, whenever the cloud lifted from above the tabernacle, they would set out; 37 but if the cloud did not lift, they did not set out—until the day it lifted. 38 So the cloud of theLord was over the tabernacle by day, and fire was in the cloud by night, in the sight of all the Israelites during all their travels.
The Account of the Golden Calf
Because Moses took so long coming back from the Mountain, the Israelites got Aaron to make a golden calf to worship. And the next day they celebrated to the Lord and sacrificed and worshipped it and got up and join in on revelry. Moses threw the calf in the fire and ground it down to powder and put it in the water and made them drink it. The Levites killed 3000 people the next day.
Moses’ Face is Radiant
He put a veil on his face as it was radiant after speaking with the Lord on Mount Sinai and the people were scared to go near him.
The Priest’s Share of the Offering
(Leviticus 7) From the fellowship offering, burn the fat. They are the wave the breast as a wave offering and the right thigh
Unclean and Clean Foods
(Leviticus 11) Eat any animal with divided hoof and chews the cud. Sea creatures need to have fins and scales.
The Year of Jubilee
Leviticus 25. Every 50 years and proclaim liberty. Consecrate the fiftieth year and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you; each of you is to return to your family property and to your own clan. 11 The fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you; do not sow and do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the untended vines.
The First and Second Censuses
- Numbers 1:Take a census of the whole Israelite community by their clans and families, listing every man by name, one by one. 3 You and Aaron are to count according to their divisions all the men in Israel who are twenty years old or more and able to serve in the army. 4 One man from each tribe, each of them the head of his family, is to help you.
- numbers 26 was the second censusAfter the plague the Lord said to Moses and Eleazar son of Aaron, the priest, 2 “Take a census of the whole Israelite community by families—all those twenty years old or more who are able to serve in the army of Israel.”
Miriam and Aaron oppose Moses over his Cushite Wife
God called them three to go to the tent of meeting and God rebuked Aaron and Miriam and He gave Miriam leprousy and had to go outside the camp for 7 days.
Exploring the Promised Land
God commanded Moses to send out men to explore the land of Canaan from each ancestral tribe of Israel. The found it was flowing with milk and honey but came back with a bad report that they wouldn't be able to conquer it except for Caleb and Joshua.
Joshua and Caleb Take a Stand
Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had explored the land, tore their clothes 7 and said to the entire Israelite assembly, “The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good. 8 If the Lord is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us. 9 Only do not rebel against the Lord. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will devour them. Their protection is gone, but the Lord is with us. Do not be afraid of them.”
The Lord Disciplines the Families of Korah, Dathan and Abiram
As soon as he finished saying all this, the ground under them split apart 32 and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them and their households, and all those associated with Korah, together with their possessions. 33 They went down alive into the realm of the dead, with everything they owned; the earth closed over them, and they perished and were gone from the community. 34 At their cries, all the Israelites around them fled, shouting, “The earth is going to swallow us too!”
Aaron’s Staff Buds
As God chose the tribe of Levi and Aaron's staff not only sprouted but had budded, blossomed and produced almonds
The Bronze Snake
The Israelites continued to grumble so God sent venomous snakes and they bit and killed some people so Moses made a bronze snake so that anyone who was bit could look at it and not die.
Balaam Is Rebuked by his Donkey
The Donkey could see the angel of the Lord standing in the road so he rebuked Balaam for beating him as he was only trying to protect him.
The Discipline for Worshipping the Baal of Peor
The Lord said to Moses, “Take all the leaders of these people, kill them and expose them in broad daylight before the Lord, so that the Lord’s fierce anger may turn away from Israel.” And Phineas drove the spear into both of them, right through the Israelite man and into the midianite woman’s stomach. Then the plague against the Israelites was stopped;9 but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000.
The Reubenites, Gadites and the Half Tribe of Manasseh are Given Land East of the Jordan
Because they had wives and livestock, they didn't want to cross the Jordan and got Moses to give them that land but promised not to settle there themselves until all the Israelites had gotten their inheritance
The Cities of Refuge
The Levites were given 48 towns but six of them were cities of refuge where someone who killed someone unintentionally could go so that they wouldn't be killed and that their case could be heard in front of the assembly. Three on this side of the Jordan and three in the land of Canaan. If the person goes out of the city limits, then the avenger of blood can kill them.
The Three Great Feasts: Passover, Feast of Weeks (Pentecost), Feast of Tabernacles
- Passover was to celebrate leaving Egypt and they were not to eat any yeast for 7 days
- -Feast of Weeks Count off seven weeks from the time you begin to put the sickle to the standing grain. 10 Then celebrate the Festival of Weeks to the Lord your God by giving a freewill offering in proportion to the blessings the Lord your God has given you.
- Feast of Tabernacles: Celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles for seven days after you have gathered the produce of your threshing floor and your winepress.For seven days celebrate the festival to the Lord your God at the place the Lord will choose. For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands, and your joy will be complete.
The Preparations for Joshua to Succeed Moses
Moses asks God to appoint someone to lead the Israelites to the promised land and God chooses Joshua Son of Nun and tells Moses to bring him in front of Eleazar and appoint him in front of the entire assembly and Moses was to put his hands on Joshua and commission him.
Moses is Allowed to View the Promised Land
Then Moses climbed Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab to the top of Pisgah, across from Jericho. There the Lord showed him the whole land—from Gilead to Dan, 2 all of Naphtali, the territory of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Mediterranean Sea, 3 the Negev and the whole region from the Valley of Jericho, the City of Palms, as far as Zoar.