Music History Ch2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who were three important ppl in rome?
How many pieces of music survive from Rome?
what is the Aulos
tibia (bone appearance) (instrument)
What is Martianus Capella known for?
What subjects fall under the Trivium?
What subjects fall under Quadrium?
Why is Augustine of Hippo (354-430) important?
- Converted christian
- Wrote de Music treatus about jewish ideas in the use of music/worship
- Christian church is still based in its judaism heratige
Who was Boethius (480-524)?
- Wrote De institutione musica (fundamentals of music)
- -music textbook until early 18th c
Helped transmit music theory from Greece to medieval europe
musicologist who studies and understands music
uses of music in roman times
- religious and civil ceremonies
- theatrical productions
- athletic contests
What three tenets of Greek music theory did Boethius reaffirm?
- Music = science
- Universe resonates w/ music (spheres, body, vocal/inst music)
- distinction b/w musicologist and performer
What are the three different harmonies of music proposed by Boethius?
- Musica mundana
- Musica humana
- musica instrumentalis
music of the spheres
Music of the human body
earthly vocal/instrumental music
Who set a distinction b/w music's and cantor?
What is Liturgy?
- A collection of prayers, chants, readings, ritual acts
- used by theology of the church or any organized religion
monophonic religious music sung in a house of worship
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview